Calf Judging

Help Support CattleToday:

WarriorPatriot

Reaction score
I was wondering about what exactly the judges look for in calf comformation, I've seen a lot of judges go for steers with straight toplines, but my cousins get theirs from feed lots and almost never have straight toplines but win anyway. I know there can be other faults such as legs and stuff but do you have a better chance of winning with good toplines?? I'm kinda lost on calf showing so if someone could kindly point out the good and bad of it? Any info would be greatly appreciated! :)

Topline is relating to Balance most judges will look at muscling 1st then look at structural correctness 2nd, then size scale and growth, then capacity, then finsh, then balance, then finsh and carcass. That is steers just make sure you got muscling when buying a steer thats what they really look at.

when you go to the shows listen to the judges decision as you look at the calves. I have learned alot that way. With 3 in the ring he will say "the first calf has good muscleing, clean through the front, but would like to see a little more depth like the 3rd calf has, etc" look at the cattle as he judges and speaks.

Latest posts