Calf is done and not nursing well....

Help Support CattleToday:

winddancer":o59r42rf said:
ok one more silly question.when you speak of the vent hole on bottle,you're not referring to the hole in the nipple? we've had to enlarge that a bit....

No not the nipple. If you use the kind that many of us use it is a slip over cap with a nipple made onto it. If you look at the portion that slips over the lip of the bottle you will see a little dot (depression). This is the vent hole and from waht most of us have seen is never open. The calf will start sucking and in a short time can't get anything out because he has pulled a vacuum. Hope this helps.

we use the screw on type nipple to bottle..Not sure where you mean to put a vent hole..I've had to enlarge hole on the nipple....

Look on the flat part of the nipple. It will be smooth all the way around except in one spot next to the inside of the screw on ring. That dimple should be open enough to see daylight through. Most need to be opened a bit so the calf doesn't have to work so hard to get the milk out.

Update on the calf...Just want to thank everyone for all the advise.she is doing real good today..No scours all day and night so far...The meds and things have worked..She was up on her own several times today.I caught her dirnking water from a bucket also....Tonight she sucked down a half of a huge bottle...I did open the hole on the nipple more also.it seemed to help alot!!her mother however has mastitis again..will have nothing to do with the calf anymore .again...A very expereinced cattle guy came out tonight and milked out the mother.what was there...he said she was going dry already..
Like i said I'm all new to this.sunday they begin culling the herd.I guess the mother cow is going.But "victoria" will remain as the farm pet....We named calf Victoria.. :lol: The foremans name is Vic and he had to recessitate her once when she was 2 day sold..besides it kind of put a spoft spot in his heart for her... ;-) ..her leg is much better also.....shes putting a bit of weight on it..she actually went out of the barn and into the small paddock this morning.....anyway thanks again...

flaboy":xlyd1hom said:
Beefy":xlyd1hom said:
i too thought i was the only one with bottle problems. i dont know why someone cant come up with a better designed bottle.. finally upgraded to the screw on nipple as opposed to the rubber flip over the top type. that was another reason for me pointing the hole up, lost so much milk out of it (on me).

Yeah and one more thing. They are making the slip on nipples harder and harder to get over the lip. My poor dad really has a hard time. I told him to Vaseline the lip first. ;-)

At the risk of insulting you (which I really do not mean to do), have you tried dipping the slip-on end in the warm milk left in the whatever you mixed/heated it up in? Works pretty good!

winddancer":3b9j08zl said:
Update on the calf...Just want to thank everyone for all the advise.she is doing real good today..No scours all day and night so far...The meds and things have worked..She was up on her own several times today.I caught her dirnking water from a bucket also....Tonight she sucked down a half of a huge bottle...I did open the hole on the nipple more also.it seemed to help alot!!her mother however has mastitis again..will have nothing to do with the calf anymore .again...A very expereinced cattle guy came out tonight and milked out the mother.what was there...he said she was going dry already..
Like i said I'm all new to this.sunday they begin culling the herd.I guess the mother cow is going.But "victoria" will remain as the farm pet....We named calf Victoria.. :lol: The foremans name is Vic and he had to recessitate her once when she was 2 day sold..besides it kind of put a spoft spot in his heart for her... ;-) ..her leg is much better also.....shes putting a bit of weight on it..she actually went out of the barn and into the small paddock this morning.....anyway thanks again...

That's excellent, except for the part about the mother going dry, having mastitis and refusing to have anything to do with the calf. Another calf or two, and you won't be so inexperienced! Just remember, experience comes from doing and you are! Go dude!!!! :D

msscamp":6kn1kyhj said:
Yeah and one more thing. They are making the slip on nipples harder and harder to get over the lip. My poor dad really has a hard time. I told him to Vaseline the lip first. ;-)

At the risk of insulting you (which I really do not mean to do), have you tried dipping the slip-on end in the warm milk left in the whatever you mixed/heated it up in? Works pretty good![/quote]

Yes it does work pretty good but the old man just don't have the strength to slip it on anymore. I will get him a screw-on.

Latest posts