Calf Injury...first time post

Help Support CattleToday:

foxfield

Reaction score
First time question...

I have a calf who was badly roughed up on its date of birth last Wednesday, by my donkey a two year old Jack. I have not had a problem before this and have moved him out of the field where the cows are calving.

Here is my question, I am giving milk and penicillin and calf seems to be progressing. However, the skin on the back of the neck feels stiff like a corpse. It has gotten no better or worse over the week. I have never seen anything like it...

Any thoughts or suggestions. I have the mother in the barn with the calf, she is doing all she can to encourage calf. Just wanted to know if anyone had seen anything like this or had any ideas.

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've had similar bad experiences when I used to keep my horses and cows together. I learned the hard way it's not a good idea.

Sounds like you and the momma cow are doing all you can. I'd just keep a close eye on the calf, as long as it is moving around and eating, it should be okay.

If you still have concerns I'd call in the vet for his opinion.

I'm with A6gal on this one, keep an eye on it and don't hesitate to call your vet.

Oh yeah, WELCOME ABOARD, I know I didn't anwer your question but you came to the right place. Lots of help here.

I would definately get rid of the donkey - for good. From what I have read, and from first hand experience, Jack's are not good around cattle. We had one in with our herd and I had several young heifers and a bigger cow come up injured. All of them had bite marks on their hind legs and one of the heifers had bite marks on top of her neck. Needless to say, we removed the Jack. We do still have a Jenny in the herd, and she seems to do OK.

As far as the calf, I think you have done the most important thing - removing the donkey; however, I would give it a good exam - check temperature, inspect for broken bones, trauma areas, etc. If it was running temp, then I would probably give some antibotics such as LA200 or Nuflor, and then keep calf and cow isolated where it could recover.

Get rid of this Jack for good and don't have any others on your place..

If you have any others on your place you deserve what you get.

A bite like that is a pretty wicked trauma to inflict on a baby, so don't expect it to clear up overnight. The biggest problem is probably going to be the calf showing reluctance to nurse due to the sore neck muscles (he won't want to lift his head). Make sure he stays hydrated and keep an eye on his temp. The effects of the bite could last weeks, and may eventually come to a head or abscess, depending on the severity of the bruise. If the hide is dead in the bite area, don't be surprised if the skin sloughs off at some point. If the calf is getting around good and feeling perky otherwise, I'd let them out of the barn. IMO, most of the time confinement is not healthy for a calf or his mama.

Lee

Thank you all for the post. Had 3 new calves today or I would have gotten back sooner. Patient, is about same. It can move but spends too much time down. Vet said if there are internal injuries not much he could do...he was being kind...this is a commercial herd so cost is an issue. I think the sore neck is an issue she can stand and mother offers herself...but she just cant quite make it. Will turn them out if I see her nurse.

As far as the donkey goes, I have never done that before, but lost calves to coyotes last year and havent seen a single one since I got him...of course if he is gonna kill my calves, its the same as throwing a fox in the hen house.

Thanks for the responses. I lived on a farm as a child, but have been on my own with cattle for only about 4 years. Have 60 brood cows and have recently added 30 heifers for next year.

Thanks again

Shawn

Do like others said and get rid of the jack and turn your pair out in the sun and clean grass...yuoll end up with bigger trouble keeping em locked up. your calf will probaly get over it....turn em out. good luck to you

I'd put that donkey down the road before quick. Like I've said before," I like to hear a donkey bray on another man's farm." You might want to give the calf a little shot of LA200 just in case the bite got infected.

foxfield, where do you live, if you don't mind me asking? There are other ways to get rid of coyotes. I've seen people use Jenny's, lama's (no joke) and ofcourse man's best friend, the humble dog. Most coyotes aren't aggressive enough to attack when getting hounded by one of the above animals, but maybe where you live is different. If you are in an area with wolves, then all bets are off.

I think, like many others, about the best you could do is to give some LA200 and let em get some clean air and sun.

Good luck.

Was the calf white, or light colored? We had a jack that never messed with our calves at all, untill a white one was born he had it by the neck and my husband just happens to see him, and save the calf just in time. The jack left our farm quick, but not before he attacked a white feed tub, like it was trying to get him. Our neighbors had a jack that killed a white goat but never bothered the brown ones. We decided jacks and cattle don't mix.

Latest posts