Calf in with chickens

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Is it ok to have a calf in the same pen with chickens? Also what do you give a calf that has diarrhea? I just noticed it today. I work with him everyday.

Resorb and scour pills. And the chicken thing is fine as long as the roosts and nests are up off the floor so the calf can't stomp the eggs.

Jake":erez5c6g said:
Resorb and scour pills. And the chicken thing is fine as long as the roosts and nests are up off the floor so the calf can't stomp the eggs.

Got a banny hen right now with chicks she's not afraid to whip a cow or two.

Thank Y'all so much! I adore my little boy. I work with him and brush him everyday. He loves to have his head and neck scratched. He is almost a lap cow, lucky thing he is a mini and not expected to be over 387 inches tall. I don't know how I could handle a full sized lap steer! I will get his Resorb and scour pills in the morning. Thank you once again!
Leslie

If the chickens contaminate the feed or water, the calf can get a bunch of different illness'. If it's an occasional chicken, even if it roosts above the calf, it it craps in his hay, you're asking for problems. When he's grown it's not much of a problem, but birds are one of the biggest problems with bizarre calf sickness.

dun

I agree with Dun! We lost a young calf after drinking in a small pond chickens and ducks were in. The vet said probably salmonila (sp?) or cocciddosis. Chicken poop is not a good thing for your calf to eat.

Dun and Bull Lady is right. Calves and chickens dont mix in Missouri.
When I was a boy we raised calves in an old chicken house, lost the whole first batch of calves to coccidious[??]
Cleaned out, washed down & limed the floors.
continued to raise calves in there with no problems after that.
Hillbilly

We had our calf and chickens penned separately, but out in the yard together during the day. That worked okay for usas it kept the fly population down. However a big problem is making sure the calf doesn't get into the chicken feed. There appears to be 2 problems with that... the feed can contain cattle parts and the feed can burn their rumen if they eat a quantity of it (and we all know once they start eating something they have a hankering for they will eat a lot of it).