Calf illness symptoms

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Had a calf, approx 450 lb, eating well at trough and hay bale, began hanging off by himself, acting lethargic, eating less and less, then after approx 6 days died in sleep. No visible signs of distress, no nasel discharge, etc. Any thoughts? Mike

[email protected]

> Had a calf, approx 450 lb, eating
> well at trough and hay bale, began
> hanging off by himself, acting
> lethargic, eating less and less,
> then after approx 6 days died in
> sleep. No visible signs of
> distress, no nasel discharge, etc.
> Any thoughts? Mike Probably pneumonia

[email protected]

I sure dont have any experience to be posting any kind of response to a question since I ask so many. It sounds just like the heifer that I am nursing back now from being very anemic (pack cell count of 16 out of 40). The vet diagnosed ours as anaplasmosis or some other blood sucking parasite in her stomach and digestive tract.

[email protected]

Have had anaplasmosis before, usually not this time of year and sysmptoms do not appear similar. If another calf shows up will need blood test. Probably a form of pneumonia. All calves were purchased, weaned and certified vaccinated but you never know, one could have slipped through.

[email protected]

Calf either had septicemia (bacteria travelling through body), viremia (virus travelling), peritonitis, pneumonia or any one of a thousand other things. The only way you'll ever know is to open her up and do a post mortem. Your vet is a resource to use, not abuse! (sorry, I'm a little touchy today!) V

I don't know what I said that indicated to you that I was 'abusing' my vet, but I get enough spam through normal channels without your cheap shots. I think I will withdraw from this site.

[email protected]

> Don't worry about it. I won't
> answer again. V

Vicki,

Just don't respond anymore to Mike. The rest of us think you are heaven sent and really appreciate your advise.

[email protected]

now, now... (i might get blasted for this, but as dun would say here goes.....) let's not start choosing sides here... this board is far too good for such as that.... we all from time to time have our attitudes.. it is best we keep them to ourselves, but if we don't then well... at least it doesnt happen much on this board..

yes, vicki's input to this board is invaluable, and i am not sure what made her think what she did about mike, all he did was ask a question... but i am certain that they are both professional enough and forgiving enough to move past this and i certainly hope the BOTH of them will continue to contribute here....

just my 2 cents

gene

> Vicki,

> Just don't respond anymore to
> Mike. The rest of us think you are
> heaven sent and really appreciate
> your advise.

[email protected]

We have a poddie calf with really pusy eyes, every morning they are stuck together. We have been wiping the eyes with warm salty water but it has been like that for a fortnight now, and it is still not healing.

[email protected]

That's my intention. I'm really busy right now and don't check the boards very often, so please don't depend on my answering quickly. I'm not necessarily going to answer. That's not a slam on anyone specific. As a vet, I feel everyone has the right to question what's happening, and should, especially if what's being done isn't working. But too often lately I'm reading that something looked sick, wasn't examined or treated and was then found dead. Well, golly gee, that happens. The time to question is when they're noticed off alone. Or if they die, get a post mortem exam done!! How the heck can anyone determine cause of death without at least a tiny bit of information?? OOPS, I'm getting fractious again. Darn sinus infection--it's getting to me again.

Hope everyone has a fantastic 2003--it has got to be better than 2002!!

Latest posts