Calf hip

Help Support CattleToday:

Down in Dixie

Reaction score
Just found a new calf and it has an audible click when it walks. Felt the calf and it's coming from the left hip. Any clue if maybe something I can fix or is a trip to the vet in order.

Attachments

• E195AE62-58B5-4953-9B42-CE0655DA2E4A.jpeg
    E195AE62-58B5-4953-9B42-CE0655DA2E4A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • D8435B38-47E1-4692-A0CE-D7B8C06AEE86.jpeg
    D8435B38-47E1-4692-A0CE-D7B8C06AEE86.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 23
Probably not something you can fix yourself. If it's dislocated a vet might be able to reset it, but it is difficult to get them in place and to keep them there. If it's broken there's not much they can do, but at least they can let you know if it's worth messing with or if you're better off giving him a bullet before he suffers more.

Took a video but can't upload it. Left hip is slightly turned out as he walks and stands. Tried to get a good screenshot of the video showing it from the back.

Attachments

• F24F658B-27ED-4A5A-9909-77EB52E9F998.png
    F24F658B-27ED-4A5A-9909-77EB52E9F998.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 22
always feel sorry for those little calves that are born with problems. good luck and hope it turns out OK.

Looks like one I had a couple of years ago that got stepped on. Could not find a break, so think it was probably dislocated. She got where she could walk a quarter mile, so kept her in a small pasture for the summer and penned her after weaning and fed her out. Made a good freezer beef despite the atrophy on the one side.

It's a little bull so it will become dinner one day anyways. Vet took some xrays but nothing definitive. Had a calf that was bum in the rear quarter years ago when my dad had a farm. Best steaks I ever had.

If he can keep up with momma and doesn't seem to be suffering with constant pain I'd let him stay .

Ended up getting my perfered vet out the other day and we are giving him Dex and meloxicam daily. Seeing improvements daily. Have to chase him now as he is moving around more and can almost run now. He sure doesn't like that needle. So far I'm glad I gave him a second chance. Vet thinks he had an injury during birth or possibly something that happened in the womb. First vet I used was useless and just took my money and said good luck.

Just a little update. He still have isn't 100% but he is up moving more and starting to keep up with the herd some. Don't expect him to ever be 100% as long as he can make a trip to the packer next year

He is still getting around descent and keeping up with the herd but he has acquired some large knots on his rear hocks. Guessing they are caused from his injury. Any thoughts?2D42EDEE-653A-4F6C-9CE4-4A0F3A99DED3.jpeg9BEEAD4C-8B6D-4753-9BBA-4A3CBC7F2869.jpeg

Time will often show us where a problem was that wasn't very obvious at the time. The clicking you heard and felt in the hip may have been from instability in the tarsal bones but the clicking was transferred up the leg and you felt it at the top. From the photos there is certainly a callous forming on the hock and this would possibly be the body trying to stabilise the joint.

Ken

So is the thought that the original problem/injury was in the hocks, not the hips? Kind of ruins the appearance of the calf so if it would result in a lower price for that calf, I would keep him for my own freezer and sell one that doesn't have the lumpy hocks.