Calf hernia need surgery?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdoramus

Reaction score
I just noticed tonight that my 2 month old holstein calf has a hernia right by the navel. It is still really soft and will push back up into the hole. The hole in the abdominal wall is about 3/4 inch. The hernia on the outside is already about 1+ inch in diameter and fairly round.

From what I've read on the board, the only answer is surgery and should be done rather quickly. Any other insights or suggestions. He is weaned and very healthy besides the hernia. I think it is worth the cost of the surgery... any estimates on the cost of the surgery???

When caught in young calves, taping them tightly in a basic body wrap type of bandage will allow them to heal normally. I've only done it once, young bull calf I was training as an ox and over did the pulling while he was young. Grew out of it fine and ended up a pretty decent working steer. I learned of it from a dairyman that has to do it a couple of times a year to heifers, they go on to be productive cows without any problems.

dun

Price my vet quoted me once was $140. But he offers some of the best services and prices around; our other vet clinics are much more expensive.

Haven't ever tried the method you describe, dun...sounds like it could work...only have to wonder about trying it on a bull/steer calf. (?) Heifers I can't forsee a problem with taping them up, but steers? Maybe it isn't as hard as it sounds, but with my luck I'd prolly cover an area that shouldn't be. LOL.

milkmaid":1htkjdyb said:
Price my vet quoted me once was $140. But he offers some of the best services and prices around; our other vet clinics are much more expensive.

Haven't ever tried the method you describe, dun...sounds like it could work...only have to wonder about trying it on a bull/steer calf. (?) Heifers I can't forsee a problem with taping them up, but steers? Maybe it isn't as hard as it sounds, but with my luck I'd prolly cover an area that shouldn't be. LOL.

With a bull/steer you just leave a small hole for it to urinate through

dun

Dun,
So what do you wrap with? Is it a wrap all the way around the body? Sounds like it might work. I tried sticking some duct tape over it last night, but it wouldn't stick. I didn't wrap it all the way around though.

The vet said to let it go and just watch it and it might not even bother him until he's pretty heavy (700-900#s). I'd rather try something if possible. It costs about $125 for the surgery here, but wouldn't do it until absolutely necessary.

We used duct tape and you wrap them all the way around the body from well infront to well behind the hernia. When you take the tape off you have to cut it off as it's pretty well bonded to the hair by then. You want it tight but not so tight that they have a hardtime breathing. I changed it on Dick every week or so since he was growing so well. Took about a month and a half and didn;t have any problems.

dun

dun":2uoj56k2 said:
We used duct tape and you wrap them all the way around the body from well infront to well behind the hernia.
dun

I've never been so glad to not be a calf! :shock: :shock:

Thanks for the suggestion. :idea: I think I'll try it this weekend. It all pushes up easily into the hole still.

msscamp":2jp4daqj said:
dun":2jp4daqj said:
We used duct tape and you wrap them all the way around the body from well infront to well behind the hernia.
dun

I felt the same way, but it didn;t seem to bother him and he matched up with Jim so well.

dun

dun":1ebwi0cp said:
msscamp":1ebwi0cp said:
dun":1ebwi0cp said:
dun

I felt the same way, but it didn;t seem to bother him and he matched up with Jim so well.

dun

You lost me, who is Jim? All I can think of is Jimmy Dean, but that's the wrong species. :oops:

msscamp":9rpbtqtx said:
dun":9rpbtqtx said:
msscamp":9rpbtqtx said:
dun":9rpbtqtx said:
dun

dun

You lost me, who is Jim? All I can think of is Jimmy Dean, but that's the wrong species. :oops:

Dick was the nigh ox (working steer) and Jim was the off ox.
Also happen to be my brothers who didn;t see any humor in having a yoke of oxen named after them

dun

dun":ck2f6c1d said:
msscamp":ck2f6c1d said:
msscamp":ck2f6c1d said:
dun

:lol2: :lol2:
dun

Dick was the nigh ox (working steer) and Jim was the off ox.
Also happen to be my brothers who didn;t see any humor in having a yoke of oxen named after them

dun

:eek: I can understand where they are coming from, but that is absolutely priceless!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

msscamp":d44to16u said:
:eek: I can understand where they are coming from, but that is absolutely priceless!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I looked at it as a compliment, but you know how city people are!

dun

dun":6fr21lzc said:
msscamp":6fr21lzc said:

I looked at it as a compliment, but you know how city people are!

dun

Yes, I do know how city people are - no sense of humor or appreciation for the finer things in life! I'm still laughing my parts better left unmentioned off! :lol2: :lol2: