Calf Help please we dont want to put him down

Help Support CattleToday:

mjpfarms

Reaction score
I have a calf who was sick and during this very cold streak we has about -35 his body was shutting down and his ankle froze.....we thought he would be dead by morning.... well we treated him the best we could he made it threw... I think he peed on it and warmed it up and hes very alert and wanting to get up and eat and every thing but the Hoof is coming off we soak it and wrap it with sav..... the tissue on the ankle is nice and pink and looks good. can he regrow the hoof or will be be able to live with out the hoof if we put him with the goats so hes not pushed around to much by the bigger cattle.

I really do not want to put him down until i HAVE to.
What i want to know he is just going to be a pet. We call him Trooper so i would like honest thoughts on if he can live with out the hoof (if we get a limb or support in the ankle) or will the hoof regrow in time? We talked to the vet and he said its a little early to tell. Has anyone ever had this happen or know something like this.

I think the hoof had rotted tho. We have kept it clean kept it wraped and also have let it get air. I'm not sure what is keeping the hoof on at the moment

New to this sorry I'm not sure where i replied too...but I'm not sure what is holding the hoof on ineoild take a picture but its really nasty looking. We have kept him in a Clean dry stall soaked the hoof and let it air dry too