Calf health questions...

Help Support CattleToday:

Savannah01

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this site and would appreciate some feedback for my situation.

Some background info: I grew up on a dairy farm and raised bottle calves as a kid. However, I only raised calves that were born on the farm. We never had any major health issues. I'm sure I lost one here and there but I never had an out break of any illnesses. They were Holsteins. I now will bottle raise calves (black angus) for my father if the mother dies or won't take the calf. I am currently raising one now. I knew some people who were selling bottle calves so I decided to buy more since I was already raising one. When I got to the farm I wasn't really happy with what the calves looked like, they were skinny and a couple looked like they had some scouring. The man selling them said he had only been giving them 1/2 bottle of electrolytes and 1/2 bottle of milk ( they were supposed to be a week old) the calves were very active so I went against my gut and bought them anyway thinking that they were just hungry. I paid for them and got them loaded and then found out that they were not born on that farm, they actually came from a big dairy farm in a neighboring state. Since I had already paid for them I went against my gut again and brought them home anyway. I did ask if they had their colostrum and they said that for the 1st day they were on their mother and the second day they were tubed ( I didn't like that either) I got them home and gave them a bottle. They were all active . The next morning I gave them a bottle of milk but noticed a couple coughs and one in particular sounded somewhat wheezy, one had gunk in his eye and one had a runny nose, I also noticed scours so I decided to give them la200 since I didn't know what they had been exposed too. I gave them the la200 for 2 days and ran out I had some scour pills so the last day I gave them that. The ingredients were the same as the la200 . I was worry about over dosing so that was all the antibiotic gave. I also cut back milk and gAve electrolytes and probiotics. For a couple of days they all seemed to get better except for the scouring. By Saturday the scouring was worse so I increased the electrolytes and probiotics. They were all weak, but walking and eating. This morning I found one dead. He didn't have the symptoms as the others did except for the scouring. He seemed to be the strongest at first. Later this afternoon I lost another one. He was the one that had the wheezing sound ( not as bad as pneumonia. Just slightly when sucking) he seemed to be getting better, but he died this afternoon. I have talked to my vet and he prescribed a stronger antibiotic. I asked him if I shouldn't have given any antibiotics in the first place but he said I should have and they needed a stronger one and as much electrolytes as they would drink plus his regular amounts of milk. I kept my original calf separate and so far he is ok. I'm hoping I can save these calves but in the future I don't want to make the same mistakes. Other than not buying questionable calves , what should I have done differently?

Throw the LA 200 in the trash. Get some Baytril. Give each one a shot of BoSe and Vitamin A & D. Other than that sounds like you've got the rest down pretty good.

Thank you. I will look into that. I have another who was doing better but he wouldn't eat his milk tonight. Any ideas on why the ones who seemed to be doing better eating and standing are dead 12 hours later? Am i feeding to much to fast? Today i offered 3 bottles of electrolyte and 2 of milk. I lrt them dfink as much as they would take and i offered them all at least 3 hours apart. They have been oneelectrolyte and probiotics at least 6 days. However the first 4 dats tge only had 2 quarts a day of electrolytes.

What did your vet give you? Anything for fever? The best thing I have used for calf scours is spectogard. It's actually for pigs but works great for calves.
Never give electrolytes n place of milk.only as an addition.
I have had luck with adding a raw egg in there bottle.

I've also had good luck with putting a raw egg in the milk 2 or 3 times a week. And don't give them any more of the powdered milk than the label recommends. If they act like they're still hungry (and they will), you can give them some warm water, but it isn't necessary. I don't know anything about electrolytes.

One more thing. To each their own, but I'm a firm believer in feeding twice daily. But most importantly follow the manufacturers instructions on the bag.