Calf having a rough start, advice appreciated

Help Support CattleToday:

ss243b

Reaction score
Went out to check on our only pregnant hereford yesterday, found a good lookin little calf. Problem was momma wasnt having much to do with it. So i watched for a while and she barely acknowledged it. I decided to head back home and check later. 4 hours later i found the calf 100 yards away from where it was but so weak it couldnt hardly move. I went and got a bag of savacalf colostrum and bottle fed it, returned it to mom and she seemed to take to it, licking it and being protective, figured all was good. Checked this morning and it seemed weak again so i put her on mom and got her to nurse. But its not doing it itself, should i keep bottle feeding? Im not there every minute so i dont know if she does nurse, but judging by weakness im guessing not

I just went out with a bottle, got it to take one pint. Momma got curious and came up so i stood the calf up and got it to latch on but that was shortlived by another 3 month old calve that keeps pestering her trying to nurse also. :bang:
Where do i go with this?

My only concern is she will try to jump the gate to get back out with the rest of the herd, she has done it before

And im pretty much making the calf drink. Almost like it has no want to do it by itself

If you have a chute, maybe tie momma up and latch calf on. Maybe that will stimulate some instincts on the mom's part. Until the mom can fully care for it herself I would continue to bottle feed.

Ended up stalling them, got another momma cow being real rough with the new calf to the point i thought it was gonna hurt it bad. She seems to be ok penned up. I sure hope so! Heres momma and calf

They look good in the photo, what usually gets recommended here for similar situations is an injection of selenium, Multimin will do the trick, it certainly can't hurt.

Ken

Latest posts