Calf has pot belly

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
Okie so I had a 95 pound registered bull calf born yesterday morning. I tagged and weighed while he was still wet. I like to tag and weigh as soon as I can. His mother is a good 6 year old cow. Had to leave for work afterwards and was gone till that night. Checking this morning I found calf was weak and had no strength. I got the calf up several times and cow tried to get him to nurse but he wouldnt. Got the vet out gave him colostrum and and Draxxen and Mucey(sp)? The calf was pretty pot bellied and had not pooped yet. Vet told me sometimes calves intestines dont from together inside. He said this is prolly what happened and didnt give him long to live. I hate this, I hate to lose a calf, I know its part of it. Id never heard of this before. Has anyone had calves like this before. Is there something else I could do? Vet asked if I wanted to put him down. I opted to give him a shot, super nice calf, and bred really good. I hate to see anything suffer tho. He didnt really improve any other then standing up alot more but wobbly when he walked. His belly kept getting tight to. Thanks!!

I've had one born without an anus, I could have tried opening it up but it was too week by then and very small so I just gave it some lead.
This was in the early days of putting my herd together and I had cows from different areas and I know that I did have a pesti PI in the herd and had a couple of other small and weak calves that year. It is all cleaned up now though.
Ken

Did the vet say what may be the cause of the intestines not forming together?

And what made him think that they weren't? Does he have a bunghole (the calf, not the vet)? Did he give him some mineral oil, or anything?

Latest posts