Calf has hair loss on back legs? *pics*

Help Support CattleToday:

paigep

Reaction score
A while back i took in a calf who's mother died after a prolapse. I've already posted once about him, and for those who followed that post, he is doing much better! Got him on an all milk protein milk replacer, he's eating hay and feed now also and things seem to be looking up! All except for this awful looking skin issue. Pics are below, and i have no clue what it is or why he has it or what to do to help him. He has it under his tail, all around his back end, down the insides of his back legs, a spot on his hip, and some around his eye too. At first i thought maybe it was dried poop that pulled his hair out or something? but i cleaned him all up and it's still getting worse. Then I thought maybe mites? but again, no idea...any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Probably lice. Spray the little critter with a Permethrin based product if you have some. Pour on wormers will also work. Need to treat again in about two weeks.

I would say the fever and "scald" from the scours is probably most of the problem. It will grow back. Get that alot with some bottle calves, and the pattern is typical of scour scald. If the other hair loss looks like a circle, it could very well be ringworn, gets a little crusty skin. It makes them itch a bit, it is contagious to people and other livestock. We just cover it with a coating of vaseline as it's cheap and it needs to smother the area. There are other products/treatments. Old timers here will use old motor oil. It's a fungus not a "worm". But the fever can cause the hair loss.

farmerjan":3fr5u84n said:
Old timers here will use old motor oil.
Old timers around here always use new motor oil.
To avoid animals licking it off and ingesting lead and other contaminates in used oil.
I don't know that it helps, but at least it doesn't create more problems from lead poisoning ect.

Son of Butch":3ivq2nxu said:
farmerjan":3ivq2nxu said:
Old timers here will use old motor oil.
Old timers around here always use new motor oil.
To avoid animals licking it off and ingesting lead and other contaminates in used oil.
I don't know that it helps, but at least it doesn't create more problems from lead poisoning ect.
Yeah, you're right, I wasn't thinking as I wrote. We have used new motor oil before. The whole idea is to SMOTHER the fungus. I find that vaseline is cheap, easy to keep at the barn and doesn't smell so the animal doesn't get bothered by an unfamiliar smell. I've used stuff from the vet, over the counter stuff and find that cheaper is as good for something like that. When we do use the "new" motor oil, I have an old fuzzy paint brush that I just paint it on with so that it doesn't get slopped all over the animal. Also, I guess I said old since I save all my oil containers and drain them into one like from when we change oil in a vehicle. Do you realize how much oil doesn't come out of those plastic 1 qt and gallon jugs? My son says I am cheap, but then when he needs some to oil some chains, like on the baler, he always calls and says bring one of my oil jugs.....I can actually manage to collect a qt from a couple of gallons.

Latest posts