Calf had hoof pulled loose

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
We have a week old calf that must have had her front hoof stepped on. Found her unable/unwilling to put her front foot down. Loaded her up in truck & put her & mom in a pen in barn. Her front hoof has seperated from the skin (most of the way around). No flesh or blood showing, just very painful. We cleaned it & applied ichthamal (sp?) and wrapped it. This was Sunday. She is getting around on it better this AM.
Question, anyone run into this? What's the chance of it sealing back up & being OK. OF COURSE, this was what I considered to be the best heifer calf born so far - out of last years show heifer & our new bull.
Any thoughts??

I had a bull calf that lost the shell on one claw a few years back. I believe his mother step on it. It was awful sore for a few days. I kept it clean as best I could. He's a 2200 pound ox today and you would never know it happen. Keep wacth, and hope for the best.

Yep! you can not tell it ever happen. It wasn't two weeks before it was hard and he was going like new.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2x6rup7s said:
We have a week old calf that must have had her front hoof stepped on. Found her unable/unwilling to put her front foot down. Loaded her up in truck & put her & mom in a pen in barn. Her front hoof has seperated from the skin (most of the way around). No flesh or blood showing, just very painful. We cleaned it & applied ichthamal (sp?) and wrapped it. This was Sunday. She is getting around on it better this AM.
Question, anyone run into this? What's the chance of it sealing back up & being OK. OF COURSE, this was what I considered to be the best heifer calf born so far - out of last years show heifer & our new bull.
Any thoughts??

Never seen it on cattle, but occasionaly one of the horses will get a hurendous hoof infection. The top of the hoof seperates from the skin to allow the ooze to flow out. It heals like nothing ever happened but it takes a while in the case of a horse.

Had a calf get its foot caught in the head gate wrong. Foot swelled, hoof fell off, gave a couple doses of LA-200, soaked it with iodine for a couple days, and at round up time, he looked like the rest.

Thanks for the replys. Calf is getting around real well, still limps, but she's bucking & playing in the pen. Still have it wrapped.
I'll be signing off probably til Monday.
Going to NY Farm Show, displaying a heifer. So I'll be sleeping here, but won't be on the computer.
Thanks guys. Appreciate the encouraging comments. With what you've said & how she's acting, I think she'll be OK. What a relief!! :D

Hi Jeanne. I had a calf lose an outside back claw to either freezing or being stepped on. I did nothing to treat it as there was no infection and there was snow on the ground. By the time we got around to working calves at around 2 months of age we noticed that the toe wall had grown about half way down the foot. A month later you could not tell he ever lost it. I was amazed.

Latest posts