Calf growth rate, year to year

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
I don't know if I am seeing what I think I am, or is just my imagination, but I think this set of calves is growing faster than last year. I don't have a scale yet but I think they are. Do you all notice any difference year to year in your calves? No change in bull, same old bull on the same old cows.No feed/tub changes, they get nothing but minerals until they go on the crappy hay, then a tub. The only thing I changed was that I started rotational grazing last year. I don't really see how that would do it unless it helped with the milk?

Maybe rotational grazing equals more available forage for the cow and your seeing the results. Or maybe the warm weather has promoted more growth. IDK But that's always a good thing.

I've noticed differences from year to year but haven't put any environmental or other clues together .

More high quality grazing will lead to higher milk production which will give increased rate of growth for the calves.

Supa Dexta":1fwa9ncc said:
Without a scale its all in your imagination.
+1
Yep and I don't know how you can accurately remember what last year's calves looked like on Feb. 7th
Maybe you're recalling how they looked on January 17th 2016 and comparing them to Feb 7 2017 calves.

TexasBred":y6h275hr said:
More high quality grazing will lead to higher milk production which will give increased rate of growth for the calves.

+1 And it also gives higher quality grazing for the calf to eat. Doing a good job of rotational grazing will absolutely increase calf growth rate.

I do have a scale and have noticed a growth in calves so far this year. Our cows milk flow seems to be more abundant this year. I think some of it for us has to do with the increasing of our cows body condition. Not making them fat, however, we had a really good hay year last year and the hay is in much better quality. Our cows are able to keep enough for themselves and give a lot more to their calves.

Son of Butch":1nceud2l said:
Supa Dexta":1nceud2l said:
Without a scale its all in your imagination.
+1
Yep and I don't know how you can accurately remember what last year's calves looked like on Feb. 7th
Maybe you're recalling how they looked on January 17th 2016 and comparing them to Feb 7 2017 calves.

Could be you have a point there. But, I do know that I will start giving them a dab of feed to get them interested and help them out a little bit around the last week of January. No urge to do that this year. Growing and fat, don't want them with any more condition than what they are now (or the last week of Jan).

We did have a few day warm trend a few weeks ago. Maybe there was more fescue trying to grow than what it looks like. They are getting it from somewhere.

Sounds like you were limit feeding before and calves were not able to express their genetic potential. That is why some operators are wasting dollars on high WW bulls. Not enough feed on the golf course like pasture for them to fill up.

If you rotate or supplement to insure there is always feed available - - then calves will grow a bit faster in a dry year due to higher nutrient content/less water content in the forage.

I've seen it in normally wet years. Extreme dry and extreme wet and the weights are lower at weaning

wbvs58":2zskoree said:
If we have a good clover spring and summer weights will be phenominal.

Ken

Clover is magic. Forage production per acre and animal intake both go up.
I am a bit tired of the no till drill, but I will include some broadcasted clover seed this spring, dropping the pass width to about 25' to get some overlap.

Latest posts