Calf grinding teeth

Help Support CattleToday:

Pat Paisley

Reaction score
We have a 10 day old calf that is grinding her teeth, her sucking reflex seems fine but wouldn't swallow anything when trying to bottle feed. Any suggestions as to what can cause this & how to treat it? She has been somewhat lethargic also.

angie1

Reaction score
Grinding teeth is always a sign of stress, most often a sign of pain ~ it is a symptom, not the problem. Take the calfs temp and get fluids into it. You need to move fast on this ~ such young calves can go down fast. Give us more information so we can better help you.

dun

Reaction score
angie":22yezbfs said:
Grinding teeth is always a sign of stress, most often a sign of pain ~ it is a symptom, not the problem. Take the calfs temp and get fluids into it. You need to move fast on this ~ such young calves can go down fast. Give us more information so we can better help you.

Not always. Have had a number of calves that are just teeth grinders. Almost act like they're chewing their cud but without the cud being present.

dun

Reaction score
baxter78":mn4cvix6 said:
dun":mn4cvix6 said:
angie":mn4cvix6 said:

Not always. Have had a number of calves that are just teeth grinders. Almost act like they're chewing their cud but without the cud being present.

Dun,

There are a few exceptions to the rule. There always are. However, I think Angie gave good advice and the person needs to act fast in order to prevent what might happen.

I agree, just pointing out that the obvious isn;t always the right answer. Particularly with cattle

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
Is she getting anything to eat? I've never had one that ground its teeth from an illness, etc...but sometimes my show heifers would grind their teeth when they got ticked at me and didn't want to walk anymore!

Alice

Reaction score
What Angie said! Can you get your hands on banamine?

Call the vet and see what he/she says and ask if banamine is in order...as well as antibiotics...and like Angie said, definitely get some liquid down that baby...electrolytes! Is the baby scoured?

Alice

larryshoat

Reaction score
Alice":109m5ffu said:

Call the vet and see what he/she says and ask if banamine is in order...as well as antibiotics...and like Angie said, definitely get some liquid down that baby...electrolytes! Is the baby scoured?

Alice
Amen to that :tiphat: . Many times cattle with a fever grind their teeth . With a 10 day old calf that is not eating you don't have long to ponder the situation . Treat as angie and Alice have suggested . Don't be afraid to ask questions and we will try to help .

Larry

Alice

Reaction score
larryshoat":13u67qsy said:
Alice":13u67qsy said:

Alice
Amen to that :tiphat: . Many times cattle with a fever grind their teeth . With a 10 day old calf that is not eating you don't have long to ponder the situation . Treat as angie and Alice have suggested . Don't be afraid to ask questions and we will try to help .

Larry

Larry,

I appreciate your take on this more than you know. Why? 'Cause you do this for a living with lots and lots of baby calves...yet you still see the reason in putting for the effort. Thank you, Larry.

Alice

Latest posts