Calf going bald

Help Support CattleToday:

Suzy Putman

Reaction score
I bought 3 dairy calves to nurse on a cow that aborted her calf. Two got sick and now they are well but both started losing hair and now one's hair just falls out when you rub it. Calf doesn't have lice and fever is gone. The other sick one lost a little hair then quit. Will it grow back or what do I need to do. Vet can't give me any answers. He said it was fever but the fever is gone and the hair continues to fall out. Does it just have to run its course?

Oftentimes they'll lose hair after having had a fever... esp the hind quarters, flanks, underside, chest, sometimes ears too. Usually the spots that were the warmest (ex. chest). Might be another week before you begin to see a turn around. Wouldn't fret about it yet.

Thank you so much for the response. I will give it a little extra time and try giving lots of minerals as the other responder suggested.

I'm much more inclined to think the same as Milkmaid - we've had similar with calves that have been sick - wouldn't go overboard on the minerals - could do more harm than good - they'll eat what they need - give it a bit of time and you'll soon see new hair growing in.

Latest posts