Calf feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Jcfkiser

Reaction score
I have a three month old Beefmaster bull calf that just won't eat feed/grain. He was rejected by his mother and we got him onto a Jersey nurse cow at two weeks. He is huge and the healthiest calf l have ever raised. He nurses morning and evening and is in pasture in between and is grazing well with his foster mom. She won't let him free nurse because she has to have feed in front of her to allow him to nurse. By now he should be on grain like gangbusters but he only takes one small bite then patiently waits for me to finish milking to have his turn. Is this ok? Again, he is gigantic! The vet guessed him at 350-400 at two months old.

:welcome: I wouldn't worry about it. Some seem to like feed better than others. He may start to eat it better as he gets a little older. Sounds like he's doing great on grass and mommas milk.

What we have done with ours is separate them, put feed in a bowl and always keep it in front of them. Usually they will get curious and start to eat. Also, we have used Purina calf starter pellets with great success and I would recommend sprinkling them on top of the grain to entice him a little bit. I also agree with A.J. I wouldn't worry too much. If he is growing that well, you must be doing something right.

Latest posts