Calf Feeding Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Pat

Reaction score
I have a few Black Angus calfes this spring that will not feed. They continually attempt to feed at the cow's brisket. (wrong end) I tried cleaning that cow's utter as well as getting the calf at the right end. Nothing seems to work. I was hoping someone might have seen this before and or have a solution I could try. Thanks.

What do you expect from an angus. they can,t even get to be the right color. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just kiddin, lots of calves do this. My brahmans do it some more than others. I have seen a lot of others do it also.
In time they learn, and you will learn to ignore it. Just make sure that you look at the cows tits to see if they have been sucked. Sometimes they only get one or two but after a while they usually get them all.
If this is still going on it is more than likely you are overly concerned an interupting natures process. Leave the calf alone it will figure it out. An please don,t wash their udder. There is a natural smell that the calf must learn to identify with.

Pat":1979bimb said:
I have a few Black Angus calfes this spring that will not feed. They continually attempt to feed at the cow's brisket. (wrong end) I tried cleaning that cow's utter as well as getting the calf at the right end. Nothing seems to work. I was hoping someone might have seen this before and or have a solution I could try. Thanks.

If the calf hadn't found the tit and sucked within an hour or so, we generally put mom in the chute and helped the calf find the tit and latch on.