Calf emergency question

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Got a 1 month old calf that has tore about 80% of her hoof off on her right foot. It's the right side of her right foot and its hanging on about 20%. Should I tape it up or cut it off? Need to know it in an hour as we got to catch her--thanks!

tncattle":32s3kj6n said:
Got a 1 month old calf that has tore about 80% of her hoof off on her right foot. It's the right side of her right foot and its hanging on about 20%. Should I tape it up or cut it off? Need to know it in an hour as we got to catch her--thanks!

Call the vet

Jake":ks0kvwce said:
tncattle":ks0kvwce said:

Call the vet

Yep.

tncattle":1y2g2l65 said:

Call your vet to get an immediate course of action for your specific scenario and also get some metacam or another pain killer to give the little gal until she gets some protection on there or regrowth. It should grow back in time, but how well it does depends on how much damage was done to the nail bed and where it begins its regrowth from.

Also send a few pics to him/her so they can view exactly what has happened if you are not going to have a farm call or bring the calf in.

BUT yes, you defiantly need to bring her and her mom in and keep them there for a while.

We had this happen a month ago. I talked to my vet while there for something else and he gave us a salve and bandages. We wrapped it up for a few days. It was impossible to keep anything on it so it was wrapped for only a few days. He said it would grow back since she was young, about 2 to 3 weeks. I kind of forgot about it only because she's no longer favoring it and back acting normal. It happened at a impossible time, freezing rains, snow, mud, oh and more mud.

Best option - vet.

Second best option - clean it up, cut off whatever is hanging (assuming you're talking about hoof wall), and wrap it. If there's more involvement than just hoof wall you definitely need a DVM opinion as a claw amputation may be the right course of action. The majority of weight in the hind legs is carried on the outside claw so this is definitely worth having it looked at - if any of the joints in that area become infected she'll be on three legs.

I'm working PT for a man who row crops around 6000 acres and has about 275 cattle on another 1000 acres--it's his cattle so he makes the final call. Long story short, we cut the excess off that was hanging on, wrapped it with a clean gauze/medication and duct tape. I guess we'll see what happens. I'll let y'all know. Thanks!

tncattle":3claqxpy said:
I'm working PT for a man who row crops around 6000 acres and has about 275 cattle on another 1000 acres--it's his cattle so he makes the final call. Long story short, we cut the excess off that was hanging on, wrapped it with a clean gauze/medication and duct tape. I guess we'll see what happens. I'll let y'all know. Thanks!

Well I think this sucks.

AllForage":mi9m1rda said:
tncattle":mi9m1rda said:

Well I think this sucks.

I assume you think we should have done more and maybe you're right but it was what we could do for now.

AllForage":1jifz2u1 said:
tncattle":1jifz2u1 said:

Well I think this sucks.

What sucks about it? Sounds like he took care of it. What would the vet have done that he didn't do?

Angus Cowman":3g63zkms said:
Deepsouth":3g63zkms said:
AllForage":3g63zkms said:
Well I think this sucks.

What sucks about it? Sounds like he took care of it. What would the vet have done that he didn't do?
Sounds like they did the right thing
The only thing that sucks about this thread is Allforage's reply

Seriously there cowboy??? It's a bullshyt excuse that he is a big operator type who don't have time to call a vet and he could let his right hand man there deal with it. With what calves are worth and the responsibility of husbandry, calling a vet is a no brainer.

I hope the calf makes it but it don't sound good if you are not checking that wrap daily.

So suck on that :)

Well A$$forage for one they did what needed to be done and Dr'd the calf not everyone needs to call a vet to wipe their A$$ or hold their hand to take care of cattle
As for sucking on anything I guarantee you wouldn't tell me that to my face you little Egostictal lil A$$wipe
So hide behind you keyboard and dream of how great you imagine yourself to be while the rest of us will keep doing what needs to be done in the real world instead of hiding in our mothers basement like you
A$$FORAGE have a great life and suck this

Well A$$forage for one they did what needed to be done and Dr'd the calf not everyone needs to call a vet to wipe their A$$ or hold their hand to take care of cattle
As for sucking on anything I guarantee you wouldn't tell me that to my face you little Egostictal lil A$$wipe
So hide behind you keyboard and dream of how great you imagine yourself to be while the rest of us will keep doing what needs to be done in the real world instead of hiding in our mothers basement like you
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I tried to find our calf with the pulled off hoof. The grass is growing so no way to see any toes and no one would stand still for me. Went to every heifer calf in this pasture and every one ran from me on 4 legs. We wrapped it once, with the salve. It stayed on for around 2 days. Didnt use duct tape because i knew it would just hold water, they were in mud for weeks, no way around it. The bandage stayed on for around 3 days and then i noticed it off but the heifer was then putting weight on the foot. Before she held it high so to not touch anything to the meaty nub. After the bandage came off, she would put weight on it. No way we could have caught her in the field after that, got her in the field before to treat her and was easy to catch. I will keep trying to find her, instead of looking at each calf, i'll keep an eye on her mother and hope to catch her nursing.

cowgirl8":2jl9dio0 said:
I tried to find our calf with the pulled off hoof. The grass is growing so no way to see any toes and no one would stand still for me. Went to every heifer calf in this pasture and every one ran from me on 4 legs. We wrapped it once, with the salve. It stayed on for around 2 days. Didnt use duct tape because i knew it would just hold water, they were in mud for weeks, no way around it. The bandage stayed on for around 3 days and then i noticed it off but the heifer was then putting weight on the foot. Before she held it high so to not touch anything to the meaty nub. After the bandage came off, she would put weight on it. No way we could have caught her in the field after that, got her in the field before to treat her and was easy to catch. I will keep trying to find her, instead of looking at each calf, i'll keep an eye on her mother and hope to catch her nursing.

If you can't catch them then they're usually okay and don't need doctoring.

Rafter S":3nqllwfh said:
cowgirl8":3nqllwfh said:

If you can't catch them then they're usually okay and don't need doctoring.
Thats always been our diagnostic tool..lol.....if i can touch them, sometimes up, if i cant leave them be....although, on occasion thats not the case...

I finally located the calf. Had to get that herd up to pull out a cow and while getting them to the lot i saw a calf limping. The ground is dry now, so i'm guessing maybe the now dried nob may be prone to crack like chapped lips. Calf looks fine, maybe a little fatter than the rest due to not moving around as much to play. There is hoof growing back. Suggested to husband while we had them in the lot, maybe doing something. He felt it was doing fine on it own so we let her be. Now that i know she's the solid black fatty, i can watch her and see how long it takes to grow back.

Latest posts