Calf emergency question

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8":3n6bi38q said:
I tried to find our calf with the pulled off hoof. The grass is growing so no way to see any toes and no one would stand still for me. Went to every heifer calf in this pasture and every one ran from me on 4 legs. We wrapped it once, with the salve. It stayed on for around 2 days. Didnt use duct tape because i knew it would just hold water, they were in mud for weeks, no way around it. The bandage stayed on for around 3 days and then i noticed it off but the heifer was then putting weight on the foot. Before she held it high so to not touch anything to the meaty nub. After the bandage came off, she would put weight on it. No way we could have caught her in the field after that, got her in the field before to treat her and was easy to catch. I will keep trying to find her, instead of looking at each calf, i'll keep an eye on her mother and hope to catch her nursing.
Keep a couple of rolls of vet-wrap around. Has some adhesive to it and you can do a good job wrapping something like a foot then move it on up the leg and finish the wrap high enough that it will be out of the mud. It's basically just as Ace bandage with adhesive on one side. It won't stay on forever either but should last longer. Most hoof trimmers use worlds of it ( I imagine vets do as well).

Wanted to give it a week before I responded. Today we caught the calf and it's healing nicely, she was running on it and much harder to rope/catch.

This freak thing happened to us just today with a one day old calf.

We are in the same boat.
She was bleeding like a stuck pig so a vet call may still happen but so far had act fast to #1 stop the bleeding #2 clean the wound #3 administer antibiotic as a precaution against anything that could have entered the traumatized area.

My brother was telling me about it as it was his critter so looking for advice or if this happened to anyone before.

It was her front left outside claw.

She's bound up pretty nicely to give some kinda of scab forming a chance, slow the bleeding.
She's bedded down in a nice dry pen by herself so she won't get further injury

Hope the hoof can grow back okay since she's so young.

Got to see what happened today.
How it was described was probably worse because of the bleeding that occurred when the hoof got ripped. The core still is there. Her foot is tender but I think it'll be okay. For external treatment trying this stuff. It's the price of liquid gold but it's supposed to be very good.
I'm hoping the faster she heals, the faster she has significant gains.
Still has a good appetite so that's good :)

Note*
Her hoof is not black. BluKote was one of the initial treatments on the fresh wound.

Just thought I'd update one more time. If you didn't know what had happened to this calf's hoof you would never know it by looking at it. Totally grown back and she's growing like a weed and healthy all the way around. It feels good to be able to help one out when they're in need.

tncattle":1t0duz6d said:
Just thought I'd update one more time. If you didn't know what had happened to this calf's hoof you would never know it by looking at it. Totally grown back and she's growing like a weed and healthy all the way around. It feels good to be able to help one out when they're in need.
:clap: Great to hear!

Latest posts