Calf ears eaten off a bit ....

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
First off, why oh why do I have the oddest things that happen on this board? I guess I have been through all the rest, so I will just lead the
pack in "oddities".

Bottle fed calf in barn (Mom abandoned it during blizzard) and has done REALLY well. No problems at all, very big calf, and is also eating calf grain.

Noticed the other day the ends of calf's ears hair appeared worn-off over the weekend. (Just at the edges) - Monday morning came in for the feeding, and where the hair was worn off, was now all bleeding all the way around the outer parameter of each ear. One ear had a whole "slice" cut down, (approx. 1/4 inch width - 1 1/2 inches long).

Calf was not stressed, did not notice, I put on "wound koat" (washed off first). He did not like having the ears cleaned though. Ouch. It hurt me worse.

No signs of sickness, thank goodness, though this means I watch doubly close. Might give some antibiotics as a precaution.

"Bubba" who works on the farm was told by some others that fox come up to calves and eat their ears. I have been a farmer for more the 50 years and have never-ever seen this.

Any of you ever heard of such a thing? Could it be rats? Rodents? The barn is secure, but a fox could get in to his stall. The calf is very active and would likely kick the crap out of whatever bothered him, so this is a real quiz to me.

Oh yes, I have two other girl calves in the stall next to him, they appear ok.

Should I get a rabies preventive? Good gosh. Does it ever end of odd things?

Thanks for any and all experiences you might have or have heard on this. :tiphat:

Andi

More than likely they froze a while ago and have finally fallen/broke off now.. No worries, it is common especially when you calve in cold weather..

Thanks, Hillsdown! Wow! WOW. :clap:

When his mom left him, it had snowed about 10 inches, (that was 5 weeks ago) and he was caught in briers. We got him out, (he hadn't been out that long, about an hour) but I know that is long enough to have frosted ears. When we got him up to the barn, I warmed him up, but his ears seems fine. But that is probably what is is.

Thank you! Thank you!!

:nod: :nod: Yup, frostbitten ears. I have one of those this year too. Noticed a few days ago, her ears were looking oddly shaped, then I thought back to her birth date...ah yes...back during the weather from he77.

Had 2 others like that a few years ago, they were born during an ice storm.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":11c2hsxd said:
:nod: :nod: Yup, frostbitten ears. I have one of those this year too. Noticed a few days ago, her ears were looking oddly shaped, then I thought back to her birth date...ah yes...back during the weather from he77.

Had 2 others like that a few years ago, they were born during an ice storm.

Katherine
I'll be lucky if there's only one of mine with frostbit ears this year... I have some cows that even got frostbit ears from our first storm in Dec. Sure am glad the snow is over.

Andi of Longmeadow":17iq6dkf said:
Thanks, Hillsdown! Wow! WOW. :clap:

When his mom left him, it had snowed about 10 inches, (that was 5 weeks ago) and he was caught in briers. We got him out, (he hadn't been out that long, about an hour) but I know that is long enough to have frosted ears. When we got him up to the barn, I warmed him up, but his ears seems fine. But that is probably what is is.

Thank you! Thank you!!

You are very welcome... :tiphat:

We had a weaned heifer a couple years ago that got cornered by a pack of loose dogs and they rip one of her ears off. Shot one of the dogs and dump it in the owners driveway down the road. Haven't had any problems since then.

Latest posts