Calf Diptheria

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
We always run into Diptheria problems. One vet told us that Diptheria and Foot Rot are caused by the same bacteria. With Diptheria, you can see lumps, sores/abcesses in the mouth and of course the more classic signs of laboured and raspy breathing. It has been a few years since we have had one with the classic signs. But we do now.

Two days ago, I treated it with 3 Sustain III boluses (which are indicated for Calf Diptheria), which seem to have helped, the calf is not having near the trouble breathing. However, because this calf seemed so bad, I talked to the vet. Here is the regimine he gave us.

Nuflor - 3 cc IM, every other day, for 10 days
Dexamethasone - 2-3 cc (depends on wt) IM every day for 10 days
Oxy LA - 6-10 cc (depends on wt) SQ every 3 days for 10 days.

To me this seems a bit like overkill, but I hesitate to question the vet, as he certainly has more experience with it than I do. I don't like giving that much Dex, or rather giving it that often. For those of you with some experience with the disease, what do you think???

The nuflor sounds about right, the dex is a steroidal anti inflammatory and I imagine it is for the lungs, I would hit hard with the first shot like 6 cc's of the dex and then switch to predef 1-2cc's per day even that is a lot. Why the long acting pen ? Must know something that this can hit that nuflor can't. I think your vet is doing the hit them hard and long to knock everything out. I was thinking that they say pain killer so I wonder why Anafin wasn't prescribed?

I don't have experience with diphtheria fortunately but I have heard it is hard to knock out:
Treatment
Early prompt treatment is important as early treatment is much more effective
Separate the infected animals and isolate them
Antibiotics and pain killers are effective in most cases
The laryngeal form is much more resistant to treatment. Get veterinary advice

Good luck with your calf.

hillsdown":301esp13 said:
The nuflor sounds about right, the dex is a steroidal anti inflammatory and I imagine it is for the lungs, I would hit hard with the first shot like 6 cc's of the dex and then switch to predef 1-2cc's per day even that is a lot.
Good luck with your calf.
Is good advice there. I prefer banamine to dex as well, but as HD said ~ hit hard with it once, then switch. That is a lot of dex.
I am sure you already know, but don't forget probiotics.
And yes ~ best of luck.
I am curious to know how this cocktail works for you.

Fascinating. I'm going to have to look that one up. We get foot rot, but I've had a calf with raspy breathing since birth. Doesn't seem to bother her at all, just sounds bad. Also, I just noticed another calf with a significant lump in her lip. Thought maybe a cancer tumor.

Anyway, check the nuflor bottle too . . . that works great for foot rot, but if you double the dose and go SQ you only need one injection (for foot rot).

Thanks for all the replies. We haven't started to treat the calf yet, since it seemed to be better with just the boluses I gave it. Today is day 3 though so we will have to watch it for a relapse. I will use the dex, although, I don't think as often as what the vet said. We do not have banamine, and in fact before coming to these boards, I had never heard of it. The Nuflor is for Footrot too, so I am thinking that is why it was prescribed. I believe the last time we treated a Diptheria, I am not sure what we used, but I do know it WAS a long treatment period. It may have been Nuflor, or perhaps Trivetrin.

I do trust our vet, and we are fortunate to have one that is 15 min away. If he leaves/retires we will be stuck having to travel an hour minimum to get to a vet. However, I do realize that no-one is infalliable, and that is why I questioned this prescription. I think that with any vet, you have to know enough, to either accept or question what he is suggesting. Especially, when it is just a consultation over the phone, and not an actual visitation. You will never find a vet that doesn't make mistakes, but you can find one that works well with you, and one that will discuss the problems you are having with you. Ours does that. If we need to know something we can call him up and ask. He will tell us what he thinks is the problem, and what options we have.

randiliana":3u5r623b said:
We always run into Diptheria problems. One vet told us that Diptheria and Foot Rot are caused by the same bacteria. With Diptheria, you can see lumps, sores/abcesses in the mouth and of course the more classic signs of laboured and raspy breathing. It has been a few years since we have had one with the classic signs. But we do now.

Two days ago, I treated it with 3 Sustain III boluses (which are indicated for Calf Diptheria), which seem to have helped, the calf is not having near the trouble breathing. However, because this calf seemed so bad, I talked to the vet. Here is the regimine he gave us.

To me this seems a bit like overkill, but I hesitate to question the vet, as he certainly has more experience with it than I do. I don't like giving that much Dex, or rather giving it that often. For those of you with some experience with the disease, what do you think???

I had a calf with diphtheria about 3 yrs ago. My vet also said that it is usually caused by a scratch or injury in the throat area and the same bacteria that causes foot rot enters the wound. I don't remember the medication for it but do remember the persistence of the problem. Probably your vet is trying to nip it quick.

randiliana":l7992nr1 said:

Well, this morning, the calf was starting to wheeze again. Not badly, but it was there. As both my hubby and I were working today, I left her to do until tonight, when we would both be home. Much easier to catch her with help. In the meantime, at work, I had a chance to talk to a lady, that has been dealing with the same problem. I asked her what they did, and her answer was what the vet had prescribed. So, that is what we will do. Calf will feel like a pincushion after the next 20 days, but better than dying I guess.

Will have to look around, and see if I can find either Banamine, or Pre-def, neither of which I had ever heard of before being on this board.

Randi,
Our vet in manitoba carries both banamine and predef. If the pharmacy rules are the same between provinces should be able to get it.
Our vet also says anafin (generic brand flunazine (SP)) is better than predef and banamine is better than anafin.

Seems like a lot of dex...

The banamine...yeah, it's not as harsh, but my vet cautioned against the overuse of it. Says it's hard on the gut...like aspirin is hard on a human's gut. I still use banamine, but not like I used to...

Alice

Banamine is hard to get here (will not give out to just anyone because it is not for proven some cattle uses in Canada) and is not common at all. It is also 120 bucks for 100ml. Predef is the drug of choice even over Dex unless you have real lung issues and then you hit them hard first with a shot of Dex.

I guess it is what you are used to and what your vet has most experience with, being a dairy background as well as our vet we are used to seeing a wider range of problems and use a different cocktail than a lot of others do. Predef also stimulates the appetite which is always a good thing with a sick animal.

Potatoes / potato's.............. :?

Hope your little one is OK that is a lot of needles but if it saves their life than I guess you have to do it. I know I would also but I would feel really bad about it too. :(

Thanks, guys, I will talk to the vet about both drugs. I am thinking that he doesn't use much of either of the drugs, or that he only uses them in certain cases. Whatever the case, every drug has its side-effects, some are just worse than others.

Our vet is pretty good about prescribing drugs, and if we go in and ask for a drug, in most cases he will give it out, nearly no questions asked. But, then we have a pretty good working relationship with him, and that makes a big difference.

randiliana":3cdmh4nl said:
Our vet is pretty good about prescribing drugs, and if we go in and ask for a drug, in most cases he will give it out, nearly no questions asked. But, then we have a pretty good working relationship with him, and that makes a big difference.

Makes a huge difference i think too.

Latest posts