Calf died

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I bought some pairs on June 13th. All cows and calfs looked ok, but one calf starting getting sick. She had a snotty nose and some weazing when breathing. We gave her a shot of la200 and she seemed to be doing better. I found her dead yesterday. I bought this pair from a sale barn and the trip to my place is about a 20 minute haul. I do not know how far away she was shipped to the barn by the previous owner. My question: I assume this was either pnuemonia or shipping fever--(if there is a difference). I did not call the vet as she seemed to be doing better. Do I need to have the vet come out and check my other calves? They dont seem to be sick, but I thought the other calf was getting better. They seem ok, but they do cough from time to time.

[email protected]

> I bought some pairs on June 13th.
> All cows and calfs looked ok, but
> one calf starting getting sick.
> She had a snotty nose and some
> weazing when breathing. We gave
> her a shot of la200 and she seemed
> to be doing better. I found her
> dead yesterday. I bought this pair
> from a sale barn and the trip to
> my place is about a 20 minute
> haul. I do not know how far away
> she was shipped to the barn by the
> previous owner. My question: I
> assume this was either pnuemonia
> or shipping fever--(if there is a
> difference). I did not call the
> vet as she seemed to be doing
> better. Do I need to have the vet
> come out and check my other
> calves? They dont seem to be sick,
> but I thought the other calf was
> getting better. They seem ok, but
> they do cough from time to time.

Would be a good idea to get them checked out.May save you money in the long run.

[email protected]

I thought the point of this Q and A board was to be helpful. On the other hand, I can't diagnose tetracycline resistance from several states away like you must be able to do.

> Do I need to have the vet
> come out and check my other
> calves? They dont seem to be sick,
> but I thought the other calf was
> getting better. They seem ok, but
> they do cough from time to time.

If they are coughing and it isn't just from dust, they may be sick. If you have a group of sick calves, you may have forgotten how good a healthy calf looks. Do they trot or run easily if you run up to them? If you wake them do they get up and stretch hard with the neck up and back arched? Can they run without stopping to cough after 20 yards or so? Do they keep an eye on you when you walk through them? Do you ever see them play and jump around? (You should answer yes to all of these.) If you watch them breathe in the morning when it is cool do they take slow deep breaths, or are they already breathing fast? If your calves sleep deeply, don't get in a hurry, and seem very tame, they could be very sick. If they carry their heads low, never prick their ears up and never run around, they are sick.

> Sell everything and raise goats,
> give them as much la200 as you
> want. Silly man LA200 does nothing
> for pneumonia.

Nuflor is the med of choice for pneumonia? Obviously so. la200 is the cure-all in this area-supposed to cure anything, however, as an expensive lesson learned, I will stock Nuflor from now on. Nuflor for any respritory disease and la200 for all else??

[email protected]

Latest posts