calf diarrhea

Help Support CattleToday:

shamfam

Reaction score
I have 2 calves. They are about 8 weeks old. One of them has struggled on and off with very watery diarrhea. He has it again and it's a mess! It's everywhere. It seems to clear up and then, boom, it's back. He also has goopy eyes. They are off the bottle and eating hay and grain and growing fast. They are both acting completely fine. I haven't treated them with anything, although today I did try a packet of electrolytes in the water. Any treatment suggestions?

Electrolytes in the water will help with energy and supplying nutrients, but will not treat a problem. It is hard to try to diagnose watery diarrhea from a distance. With "goopy" eyes, I'd say a respiratory type problem that is not debilitating but will affect the growth and thriftiness. I would have a vets' opinion. But barring that, a round of sustain ll type boluses might address the issue. But I would rather know what the problem is.

They are in a large penned off section of the barn. We are repairing a fence and then they will have access to a small pasture. They are eating calf starter grain from a local feed mill, and orchard hay from a local farmer (not really sure what's in either of them, but I trust both.) Plus, if it's what they're eating or where they're staying, I would think both calves would be having problems?

Have them tested for stomach worms.. You can take a stool sample to your vet and they can get you what you need to treat it.