Calf delivered and more

Help Support CattleToday:

lilmissfit8

Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for a while now, but I have not read this issue yet, if I have missed it, I apologize. Our neighbor has Simmental-Angus cross. Spring has been interesting to say the least 12 down and 5 to go.

Here's my question. We had one on Wednesday deliver the calf unassisted and also her uterus. We called the vet, but it was about 2 hours until he was able to get there. The calf was up right away and mom seemed ok. After a lot of hard work, the vet was able to put everything back in place, nothing was tore, but it was a long procedure as she kept trying to push it back out, but we made it and he sewed her shut. She went into shock and finally went down. The vet loaded her up with antibiotics, meds for shock, IV'd her to get fluids back in. We bottle fed the calf that night. She made it thru the morning and was able to eat some and drink, but was not up yet. Bottle fed the calf again that morning, he is doing well. Yesterday afternoon, we finally had to move her into the barn, we were able to get her to sit up, but she had not stood yet. She did let us milk her and we were able to give that to the calf. We check last last night and this morning and she was in different spots, but we have not actually seen her up. This is her first calf and she has always been calm and gentle which I think we have benefited from. She is alert and keeps a good watch out for the calf. Does anyone have any suggestions for us. We need to get some nutrition into her to get her strength back up.

Thank you in advance.

1. Watch for infection

2. Keep feed in front of her.

3. If she hasn't quit pushing she will as the hormones abate in her.

4. After you wean the calf this fall, cull her. :)

If she hasn't got up yet roll her make sure she is not laying on the same side. If she is alert I am sure she will eat grain that is in front of her

did you check around on the ground to see if she had drug herself to a new spot or walked there? maybe try giving her a little feed right in front of her and then put some more where she can see it and smell it but have to move to get to it and watch her for as long as it takes. Ive only seen one uterine prolapse repaired (shot another one) but that cow never went down. vet sewed her up and souped her up on antibiotics and we sold her shortly after that (like a month) when we could. the calf died while she was having it.

cow down after putting prolapse back in an in shock.thay has me stumped b/c over the last 35yrs weve have put 6 or 9 prolapses back in.never had a cow go in shock from that or go down.wich has me wondering if she dont have some other major problems.only other thing i know todo is try to hipp lift her an see if she can stand.but do not be around close or under her.b/c she could work herself out of the hipp lifers an fall on you.

Need to get her up pronto. I think it's ollie on here that has the signature line - "never let the sun set on a down cow...". Get someone with hip lifters and a tractor and get her up.

Dexamethasone or Predef for shock. Continue to keep her on antibiotics as I don't doubt she is very high risk for a serious uterine infection. Keep feed and water in front of her; as long as she's on feed it's a good sign.

And keep us posted...always helpful to the rest of us to know how this sort of thing turns out and what worked or what didn't.

Update:

She is moving around by scooting, has not gotten up yet. We keep fresh water and hay in front of her. She can move the front legs, not the rear. The vet came back last night to take a look. It appears that she has some sort of paralisis, he thinks from the epideral. The placement of the epideral should have only numbed the uterine section, but he thinks that swelling has moved up the spinal cord and caused this. We are thinking it is temp. She is on a good antibiotic, and something for inflamation and swelling. He also gave her some pred last night. We asked about getting her on her feet, he said that as long as we keep moving her from side to side that he wasn't concerned yet about her being down. I'm really hoping that we can have her back up this weekend. On the good side of things, she has a perfect temperature-no fever, the sutures are holding, and everything is looking good from the surgery. She is alert and does look better every day. Seemed to have some feeling back in the area above her rear hooves this morning. Let's hope it is a good sign! Last night he gave her 5 gals of warm water with something called "bovine blue" (like a gatorade for cows) that will help replace her electrolites and put another quart of fluids in thru an IV, I'm hoping this will put some strength back into her. The calf is doing well - this will be #2 that we will be bottle feeding for a while.

Keep us in your thoughts and I will post more updates.
Thank you all so much!
Sheri

Latest posts