Calf colors

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am new to cattle business but it didn't take me long to figure out what color of calves I needed to have (black). I bought a black aungus bull to put on the herd of various colored crossbreeds that I have aguired. Will the black be dominate, and if not, what are the laws of genetics as far as colors go?

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

black is dominant but w/cattle there are various genes that can affect the color(s). first to consider is whether or not your bull is homozygous black. he could carry the red gene which means that only half the time will he pass on the black gene. also, the cows' color genes will influence the calves' colors. crossing w/simmental & charolais-type cows often produces grey calves due to a diluter gene. if you're crossing w/herefords, the calves should be black but the white face is also dominant so they will have white faces, from solid white to mottled. so many things work together that it's hard to say that the calves will definitely be black. guess you'll just have to wait until the calve to know for sure.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> black is dominant but w/cattle
> there are various genes that can
> affect the color(s). first to
> consider is whether or not your
> bull is homozygous black. he could
> carry the red gene which means
> that only half the time will he
> pass on the black gene. also, the
> cows' color genes will influence
> the calves' colors. crossing
> w/simmental & charolais-type
> cows often produces grey calves
> due to a diluter gene. if you're
> crossing w/herefords, the calves
> should be black but the white face
> is also dominant so they will have
> white faces, from solid white to
> mottled. so many things work
> together that it's hard to say
> that the calves will definitely be
> black. guess you'll just have to
> wait until the calve to know for
> sure.

I guess wiith all that considered txag, a guy is money ahead to pay extra for the black cows to go along with his black bull?



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Not necessarily. When we had commercial cattle, we bought cows of all colors and used a registered Angus bull on them. All the calves were black. At the sale barn red or multicolored cows were cheaper to buy than black cattle.

> I guess wiith all that considered
> txag, a guy is money ahead to pay
> extra for the black cows to go
> along with his black bull?
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Not necessarily. When we had
> commercial cattle, we bought cows
> of all colors and used a
> registered Angus bull on them. All
> the calves were black. At the sale
> barn red or multicolored cows were
> cheaper to buy than black cattle.

Thats been my game plan. I have bought about 25 mixed breeds in third stage and have gotten multi colored calves. I am hoping to get the black calves out of my Angus next season, on the other hand the mad cow may kill my game right out of the gate. What a great time to start in the business huh!



[email protected]
 

Latest posts

Top