Calf coloration

Help Support CattleToday:

brihop

Reaction score
Got one LH type cow (mostly white w/lots of tiny red spots), bred to reg BA, first calf, heifer, came out white/black spotted- basically same pattern as momma, only spots are black. while I think the color is rather neat, I wouldn't be thinkin it was so neat if it were a bull calf and cost me dock ($50-100?) at sale barn. Momma is good cow, stout made w/good bag. Question is: neighbor's herf bull would be no better at knocking spots off calves than a reg BA would, right? Thinkin I'll just ride out breeding to our BA, what are ya'lls thoughts?

Probably wont change the coloration much to use a hereford bull. Only thing it might do is take spots off the face and legs to give you that spotted baldy calf.

I would keep her breed to BA bull, unless you want breed her to Charolais. I has personally seen LH x Hereford cross..either spotted whitefaced or skinny red whitefaced. If the hereford bull is horned, be expect the calf to grow the horns much larger than the sire but smaller than the dam. The LH x hereford are very good mama cows tho.

Nothing you can do to get rid of the spots. That's a dominant trait. Best you could do is disguise them and Char would probably work best for that. Oh, and that heifer calf will have a 50% chance of throwing spots too.

We had shorthorns, and 2 generations after while breeding to only solid red bulls, we still get some roan in some calves... it takes FOREVER, especially with long-lived cows, to get rid of spots. My old cow is s brockleface (herf-saler), and the last 3 heifer calves were 1 solid, 1 whiteface, and 1 brockle, though I think their offspring will be a bit more uniform. I know for sure that I'm never going to get another bull that has significant white... I don't mind a white belly or tail, but that's all I'll take.

A char bull will hid spots the best. My second choice would be a red limi bull. Both of these will add muscle an angus isn't going help a longhorns hatchet butt.

Thanks. this cow is a little brickhouse (LHX), no hatchet butt. I'll try to get pics of her this weekend. the feat will be figuring out how to post them on here. will keep breeding her to angus and retaining these salt and pepper heifers- as long as they work like momma.

I used to think some of my shorthorn/saler crosses were meaty.. until I saw a gelbvieh (probably simm too) butt ;) If what you got is working for you, you can't argue with that though

Latest posts