Calf Chute ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas

Reaction score
Planning a new loading chute, tell me what I am thinking wrong. I am looking to build a short new chute for 400-700 lb calves. Questions I have. Would treated plywood be okay for sides with very little curve. With no plans for larger animals can I get by with a 4 foot tall plywood about a foot off the ground. That way I would not need a catwalk. Or should I rip the plywood down the middle and leave a space in the middle. Also can you remove the headgate from a squeeze chute so you don't need a separate loading chute? I just can't seem to visualize what I need.

It just happens I loaded cows from such a chute today , it had pipe post with 3 pipe runners one top, middle and bottom , the 4x8 sheets were solid, it was not treated but he had painted it red, he did have the chute and working facilites under a shed, it made an impressive stout chut, he used plywood because of the cost , he said a 4x8 sheet of medal was $250 and when he did have to replace a sheet , just unbolt it and replace. I had not noticed it was wood until he mentioned it.

I don't think you can keep all 7 wts in a 4' high chute. May need to push a few back in after they rear up and get a leg over the plywood...
Plywood sides will work if you get the vertical supports close enough together, but I would use dimension lumber 60+" high.

I prefer the high sides with a catwalk. It only takes one crazy that thinks it can make it to ruin an entire day. With 4 to 7 weights that probably have never been loaded before you are sure to get one sooner or later.
I have found that over kill is always better than just enough when it comes to working facilities.

Douglas":3qxem0my said:
Thanks guys, what about removing the headgate for loading?

If you're not elevating them for a high trailer, why not just two panel gates on the end of any chute?

Latest posts