Calf catcher

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
This is pic of my calf catcher/cage works great and keeps me safe letting me ring,needle,tag and weigh my calves works on calves up to a week old I would need a more powerful Rhino as this is only 450cc and have a hard time keeping up when they get older.

..I'm visualizing this apparatus in operation------on my hilly place with all the stumps and ravines....one hand on the wheel, another on the gate rope, watching the calf, trying not to run into anything.... I have a 2 month old calf I swear could outrun a deer easily, but fortunately, she'll come to bucket of calf manna or starter pretty easy.

I'm guessing your place is a lot more flat and forgiving than mine tho.

skyhightree1":3jfo8d46 said:
I just wonder how many calves have been hurt or ran over killed etc by people using these devices.

Probably not many but in any case it sure beats the number of people who have been run over or killed by unhappy mother cows. I have never been killed but I have sure been run over a time or two while tagging a new calf. It isn't nearly as much fun as you might think.

Dave":1axt0iv9 said:
skyhightree1":1axt0iv9 said:
I just wonder how many calves have been hurt or ran over killed etc by people using these devices.

Probably not many but in any case it sure beats the number of people who have been run over or killed by unhappy mother cows. I have never been killed but I have sure been run over a time or two while tagging a new calf. It isn't nearly as much fun as you might think.

I can understand that.

I have been run down twice and that was enough for me they didn't carry on the attack just bunted me and walked away or this might have been a different story. I have never hurt a calf and have used this for 3 yrs you just have to get them as close to birth as possible most of the time the calf never gets up if you go slow and quiet.

If you get them while they are a day or two old, they work ok. If you wait until they are a week or older, you can drive faster than you can brake. As a result, I have heard of wreaks with lots of broken legs and run-over calves.

Dave":8iayeara said:
skyhightree1":8iayeara said:

I thought sure you had been killed that one time Dave. Don't you remember, you had the out of body experience??

Latest posts