Calf cannot stand up

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a three week old calf that weighs about 110lbs. He was doing fine up until the past two days. About a week ago, I noticed his eyes were draining fluid, so i started him on penicillin (5 cc per day) and continued for 4 days. He appeared to have cleared up so I stopped giving him the penicillin. Two days later I went to feed him and he could not get up. He was able to stand up when I helped him, but could not get up on his own. He will eat fine, but cannot get up. I believe this is shipping fever and have started him on 6 cc of AD 200 once a day. Is this symptomatic of shipping fever and is there anything else I can do and when can I expect him to get well? Thanks, Keith

[email protected]

you may want to try a high energy drench to get its energy up, sometimes when a calf is coming down with multiple sickness and being treated with multiple antibiotics it takes away its energy-a 36 ounce bottle of this drench is around $15.00 its real sweet so everything seems to like it--it worked on one of my cows that had an uterine prolapsed and bled internally it got her up and back on to feed--good luck --you might want to give him a bottle of Gatorade or some other sports drink with a lot of electrolytes every other day

[email protected]

> you may want to try a high energy
> drench to get its energy up,
> sometimes when a calf is coming
> down with multiple sickness and
> being treated with multiple
> antibiotics it takes away its
> energy-a 36 ounce bottle of this
> drench is around $15.00 its real
> sweet so everything seems to like
> it--it worked on one of my cows
> that had an uterine prolapsed and
> bled internally it got her up and
> back on to feed--good luck --you
> might want to give him a bottle of
> Gatorade or some other sports
> drink with a lot of electrolytes
> every other day Thanks for the info - Will he be able to process the gatorade. I've heard that cows will, but have also heard it won't.

[email protected]