Calf buy back

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
Anybody currently participating in a program where a seed stock producer is buying back if you use their bull for example? What is the program and do you like it? Pros and cons? Thanks!

I have heard of a "Beef Alliance" thing here where they provided the bulls and then bought your calves back. I don't know the particulars.

Red Devons have some sort of program like that. Talked to them a couple of years ago but we weren't ready to try anything, just wanted some info. Also one guy talked about a group that would do ultrasound of ribeye in your cows, and maybe tenderness, and they would buy back all the calves out of the cows that met their program and criteria with the ultrasound results. Don't know much about it but it sounded interesting.

Phil Trowbridge, Trowbridge Angus does a similar program. Has for many years. Very successful program. He has a sale barn host his sale. All offspring of his bulls get grouped and sold, and is in conjunction with his bull sale at the same location/same day.

The people who I bought bulls from for years did this. They have retained ownership of their steers and heifers. They would buy calves from people who bought bulls from them and ship to the feedlot with their own calves. They quit doing it because of they ran into too many health issues with the calves from other people.

Folks who bred the current natural service sire (Wayward Hill Farm, Versailles, KY) have a calf buy-back program.
I talked to them earlier this fall about it, and they expressed some interest in the steers and heifers... but when it came time to wean and sell, I didn't have time to fool with the idea of haggling with them... had to get those calves gone while the no-mud window was open. May give them another shout next spring on the next group.

Did a progeny-test breeding trial for a noted Shorthorn operation several years back, with the understanding that they'd pay a premium for the steers... they bought 'em, but sure didn't want to pay any reasonable premium when the time came.

talltimber":2jo730ma said:
I have heard of a "Beef Alliance" thing here where they provided the bulls and then bought your calves back. I don't know the particulars.
We actually have a customer who just recently began participating in something like this. The beef packing company provides a bull for 60-90 days and then buys all the calves from him at weaning time.

MRRherefords":1kyqe76y said:
talltimber":1kyqe76y said:
We actually have a customer who just recently began participating in something like this. The beef packing company provides a bull for 60-90 days and then buys all the calves from him at weaning time.

What are y'alls thoughts on something like this? Good or bad or could go either way?

I don't know the particulars of how they determined calf prices. I have heard with this particular setup, the bulls were provided by the Alliance. I don't know if that is true or not. A guy might have to buy a bull from them. I never heard what they were looking for, cow wise. I have a suspicion that they were looking for as many registered cows as they could find so they could promote their bulls for numbers, epd's. This guy was tied in with Sydgen pretty tight I think, and I think he was trying to get in on the MO Angus epd baseline? Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to cover that. Something about the genomics in the state assoc or national even? For some type of baseline reference numbers? I had heard something like that was their angle.
If a guy could get some good bulls, have calves with a doable bw, not be responsible for anything other than body condition, get better than normal prices for his calves, and not have to handle them with one foot up on a panel, then it sounds pretty good. Personally, I am skeptical, and independent.

There is or at least was a place around here doing that, but rumor is they aren't doing so good I guess. You use their bulls and they guarantee to buy your feeders. There were some other stipulations also, no implants, dewormer or antibiotics. SubQ injections and other basic BQA type stuff. Not my cup of tea but several guys around were doing it apparently.

There's a large Pied operation out of Nebraska that does that, only you lease their bull if you don't have a 2-copy of your own. There's a mile long contract associated with their program tho and they will supply trucking. They guarantee 15 to 20 cents a pound more than the national average. Sounds like you will need a pot load to participate.

Latest posts