Calf bought at auction

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC":ifql0boe said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":ifql0boe said:
16 posts makes you an expert huh somn? LOL. Not all but most of the cows that go through the sale barns down here are either feeder animals, slaughter animals, or they are culls. I would never buy an animal down here at the sale barn to keep as a replacement female. I dont care how good a deal it was. You get what you pay for. You are playing with fire around here if you are buying commercial cattle from the sale barn. You will more often than not get burned pretty bad. I can see buying feeder animals there as they are gonna be fed out and slaughtered anyways. I just cant see why anyone would by animals from there for their herd when that is where most of the cull cattle go.

What is your obsession with the number of posts a person has? It makes absolutely no difference at all. There are probably thousands of people out there who don't even know about this site that know more about cattle than 90% of the people who post here. And are you saying that people like Dun, Caustic, Bez, and a host of others knew nothing about cattle till they started posting on here? WISE UP!!

VanC.....Isn't that the way it is? I did not know anything about cattle till I started posting on here, and look at me now I am a GURU, I have passed Bez in Knowledge, On the tail of Caustic but Dun now he is another story he has a lot of them dang post. I might have to wait till vacation time to post enough on here to be smarter than Dun. ;-) :D

msscamp":1cazkt2e said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1cazkt2e said:
What could you have done differently? Don't by salebarn cattle. You get what you pay for. End of story. Chalk this up as a lesson learned and move forward.

Having bought many very young calves at the salebarn in years past, and not losing any of them, I would have to say your post is prejudiced at best and plain old ignorance at worst. The trick is to have enough experience and knowledge of what to look for to be able to tell the ones that are going to die from the ones that can be saved - based on her description that might have been discernable and it might not have been. It certainly helps if one knows what to do after getting them home, too. As far as I can tell the only thing Sherilyn did wrong was start off with a more difficult situation than she had the experience/knowledge to handle - there is no shame in that. We've all been there, done that at one point or another. As for your statement about only culls being sold through the salebarn, all I can say is one mans (or womans) cull is another mans (or womans) treasure. Just because a particular cow doesn't work in one operation doesn't mean she won't work in another. Just my thoughts.
Well Said!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

aplusmnt":dfeveb47 said:
VanC":dfeveb47 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":dfeveb47 said:
16 posts makes you an expert huh somn? LOL. Not all but most of the cows that go through the sale barns down here are either feeder animals, slaughter animals, or they are culls. I would never buy an animal down here at the sale barn to keep as a replacement female. I dont care how good a deal it was. You get what you pay for. You are playing with fire around here if you are buying commercial cattle from the sale barn. You will more often than not get burned pretty bad. I can see buying feeder animals there as they are gonna be fed out and slaughtered anyways. I just cant see why anyone would by animals from there for their herd when that is where most of the cull cattle go.

What is your obsession with the number of posts a person has? It makes absolutely no difference at all. There are probably thousands of people out there who don't even know about this site that know more about cattle than 90% of the people who post here. And are you saying that people like Dun, Caustic, Bez, and a host of others knew nothing about cattle till they started posting on here? WISE UP!!

VanC.....Isn't that the way it is? I did not know anything about cattle till I started posting on here, and look at me now I am a GURU, I have passed Bez in Knowledge, On the tail of Caustic but Dun now he is another story he has a lot of them dang post. I might have to wait till vacation time to post enough on here to be smarter than Dun. ;-) :D
I don't have enough posts to tell wich end of the cow the s### comes from :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol:

RAWCJW":1w5y8awo said:
I don't have enough posts to tell wich end of the cow the s### comes from :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol:

According to our resident expert, that knowledge will come at post # 100. You're almost there. :lol:

VanC":2t5gj5cw said:
RAWCJW":2t5gj5cw said:

According to our resident expert, that knowledge will come at post # 100. You're almost there. :lol:

VanC,

I shouldn't have thrown my sarcastic pun in about 100 post. But on another subject I had asked a question and was severely berated by a gentleman due to my not having many posts to my credit.

fitz

msscamp":25uk7to0 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":25uk7to0 said:
What could you have done differently? Don't by salebarn cattle. You get what you pay for. End of story. Chalk this up as a lesson learned and move forward.

Having bought many very young calves at the salebarn in years past, and not losing any of them, I would have to say your post is prejudiced at best and plain old ignorance at worst. The trick is to have enough experience and knowledge of what to look for to be able to tell the ones that are going to die from the ones that can be saved - based on her description that might have been discernable and it might not have been. It certainly helps if one knows what to do after getting them home, too. As far as I can tell the only thing Sherilyn did wrong was start off with a more difficult situation than she had the experience/knowledge to handle - there is no shame in that. We've all been there, done that at one point or another. As for your statement about only culls being sold through the salebarn, all I can say is one mans (or womans) cull is another mans (or womans) treasure. Just because a particular cow doesn't work in one operation doesn't mean she won't work in another. Just my thoughts.

Excellent post.

fitz":3svzya71 said:
VanC":3svzya71 said:
RAWCJW":3svzya71 said:

VanC,

I shouldn't have thrown my sarcastic pun in about 100 post. But on another subject I had asked a question and was severely berated by a gentleman due to my not having many posts to my credit.

fitz

Sorry, fitz. My comment wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at that same person who berated you in the other post and then berated "somn" earlier in this one for not having enough posts to earn the right to an opinion. My point being that number of posts don't mean diddly. Heck, I'm pushing 400 now and I don't know squat. ;-) ;-)

msscamp":2izrrj17 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2izrrj17 said:

As usual, Msscamp is dead on!

All of my calves are sold through the salebarn, any many many other cattlemen sell there as well. Unless you have a semi load of calves, there isn't much choice. Having said that, then the calves sold there can be good. I have bought many weanling heifers from the salebarn, grow them out some, and cull hard. I see nothing wrong with that. Who can afford to buy $1300 heifers?

Buying calves at a auction ain't a bad thing. You just have to pay attention to what your doing. Take a mentor or wear the seat area out of a couple of pair of bluejeans. After being around the sales for a while you will get an eye for cattle. My 13 year old son bought 4 today. I'm a firm beliver in letting him make a few purchases on his own without input from me. He is getting a pretty good eye for cattle. I have taught him not to look for the best looking cattle, but to look for the cattle he can make the most money on. A great looking calf bringing a great price does not equal a great profit.

msscamp":2z1p2pvn said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2z1p2pvn said:

If I'm willing to critique you msscamp then I'm willing to compliment you when you give such an excellent answer and response. Weel done.

My calf is doing better. More energy, scours are gone and I saw her make an actual normal plop last night. She's eating calf starter now, too, although her brother isnt interested in it yet and he distracts her by sucking o her ear.

I love this time of year. Green grass, new calves napping in the pasture, hatching chicks, and I am going to have a new mini donk here shortly. She's bagged, waxing and miserable. :lol:

somn":1q0u6dgl said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1q0u6dgl said:
Sorry to hear about your loss. What could you have done differently? Don't by salebarn cattle. You get what you pay for. End of story. Chalk this up as a lesson learned and move forward.

Dont listen to much to this person. We buy 90% of our cattle at sale barns across the country the death loss and sickness is not any higher of a percentage from the sale barn then the cattle we pick up off the ranches. You just need to be more selective in what you buy. Maybe until you get a better feel for cattle stay away from singles and pairs.

Everyone is correct, this is the last (ttclm) person you want advise from, he gives BS a new meaning. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts