Calf bottle 2 qt/3qt?

Help Support CattleToday:

The best thing I have found for cracked hands is corona Cream from the Feed store, it's in a Yellow tube with a red lid, it's labelled for animals lol, but it works great!

I would not increase the milk replacer amount.

For myself, I feed mine twice a day 2 qt per feeding all the way to weaning (except for the last week when they get only one feeding a day) and never increase dosage. Starting day 3 leave a handful of calf starter in backet. As they grow and start eating the starter I increase the starter amount, so they're welcome to supplement their nutrition requirements with starter.

Works well for me.

you really need a calf starter , I have raised lots of bottle calves , right now I have 2 Jersey bull calves on replacer , at 2 months old they are still on 2 qts 2 X a day and are eating a flake of alfalfa and 4 to 5lbs of calf starter a day , I buy 50lb bags of an all milk protein replacer , and will go threw 2 to 3 bags per calf before I wean at 3 to 4 months , if I am feeding raw milk and it is a beef calf I have fed up to or more than a gal 2 times a day of raw milk , when I am milking , I have also done 1/2 replacer and 1/2 raw gal per feeding , I never give stocker feed till they are at least 3 months and also add Calf manna / Milk Plus / Animax to the stocker grower for higher protein , I have repeat costumers for my calves , as they know they are healthy and look good , and I get a higher price for them when I go to sell , calves left on the cow drink way more milk than you think , I have had them drink 4 to 6 gal per day , but I do know what my cows produce , as I also milk them till their calf is taking it all
Suzanne

Am currently raising a handful of milk calves myself. Kinda a project/ fun thing to keep me busy. My first batch of calves I did the whole 2 qts milk replacer for week to two then after that I gradually been adding more volume of water just a little bit but after that two week mark I pour warm water into the pails and feed them as much as they'll drink of warm water. I also work on a dairy farm and that's something we've been doing for a year now. Calves are 6 weeks and look like 10 week old calves now. I introduce grain at day one

Well guys, I've stuck with 2 bottles a day.
2 qts each. Hes doing really well. Almost thru my second bag of milk. 25lb bags of ultra 24 multi species. NO SOY.
I think I'll go thru one more bag. Probly wean him off milk about halfway thru the next bag.

How about getting some good alfalfa hay and keep it in front of him. Needs it to develop the rumen.
Never tried it. I have him up to 1+ lb a day of feed. Just increased to 1 and a half pounds. He is eating it well tho. My plan is to get him up to 2 pounds a day and start weaning off the milk. How much per day are u thinking?

Something I have done with the 3 quart calf bottle , is when the calves are 2 weeks old start giving them 1oz less of replacer in the morning and adding it to the evening feeding until they are getting All of their replacer once a day, full strength of the powder. In 1 feeding at night so they eat more grain faster, I've done a side by side comparison with calves 1 on the once a day feeding and 1 on the twice a day feeding. The calf on the once a day feeding started eating more grain sooner and he grew faster too. I've raised 12 calves in the once a day feeding so far and they have all been fine!

I've fed some of that atwoodsgrain and they like it. I've had the best successfeeding bottle calves a mix of 16 %high gain pellets and honey grain
I buy those at Stillwater milling.

Latest posts