calf born without a tail

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
seen this on occasion, but never had one born that way..

bought a cow about 3 months ago, calved yesterday.. no tail.
:shock:

is this just a birth defect? or is there usually another underlying cause?

thanks

jt

We had one born without a tail too. Yes it is a genetic birth defect. We sold the cow and I would recomend you do they same thing. We knew it was not the bull because we have lots of calves out of him and he has NEVER thrown one without a tail.

Neighbour's had a set of twins last year where one of the heifers was born without a tail.

They sold her to a neighbour that lost a calf at birth, and she sold with their heifers this fall. Nice and fat. Apparantly being born without a tail didn't dampen her appetite.

Take care.

Personally.........I would,nt sell that cow. We had a neighbour that was breeding registered stock. Got a little too close bred and ended up with a bunch of tailess calves.Bull was 1/2 brother to the Cows.

Breed her to your bull and see what happens :)

Personally.........I would,nt sell that cow. We had a neighbour that was breeding registered stock. Got a little too close bred and ended up with a bunch of tailess calves.Bull was 1/2 brother to the Cows.

Breed her to your bull and see what happens

The calf that we had born without a tail was a crossbred calf. The sire and the dam were not even the same breed.

txshowmom.............I was not refering to your cow or your stock.

I gave my opinon.You know fully well the sire could be the genetic problem ......not necessarily the cow. :)

That same neighbour ,I refered to breed those cows for several more yrs without any problems. :)

taillessness is thought to be caused by a ressesive gene. To show both Bull and Cow must have the gene. So if you breed those two animals again you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting a tail less calf and a 2 in 4 chance of having it as a ressive trait that could show up in later generations.

If you think the cow is good and will produce well then I wouldnt sell her cause chances are when bred to a different bull it will never happen again.

Shelby

txshowmom.............I was not refering to your cow or your stock.

I gave my opinon.You know fully well the sire could be the genetic problem ......not necessarily the cow.

That same neighbour ,I refered to breed those cows for several more yrs without any problems.

Sorry frenchie. I went back and reread the post and you are right. I was thinking it was bred to his bull and you are right it could be the bull that is carrying the bad gene. If she is a good cow then give her another shot.

Latest posts