Calf born blind

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
In 2004 we kept several heifers and among them was a heifer that was born with one blind eye. She was a good heifer and we figured we would get killed at the sale barn so we kept her too. She has given us fantastic calves every year and today she had a bull calf with BOTH eyes blind. She has always been a little stand offish but this time she was just nuts, she didn't want us near him but would frantically follow us everywhere we went. When we finally got to see him that's what we found. Anybody have something like that before?

I had some blind cows in the past, they sometimes get nutty if they can't see their calves. (they were GREAT momma cows!). I know the calves can get their sight back but I'm no expert on that subject.

Had a calf with two blind eyes this spring also. We kept him as a bottle calf and fostered off a twin that we had earlier to go with the cow. He is probably 2-3 months old now and has regained eyesight in both eyes and has only a small white speck in each eye. May have been a mineral deficency as mentioned above, but dad said he has never had one like it in 30 years of raising cattle.

Had a calf born with no eyeballs 2 years ago. She was a beautiful heifer. Her mother raised her just fine and when she was about 500 lbs and ready to wean, I gave her to a neighbor. He fed her great and made a real pet out of her. This spring, he put a small jersey bull with her because he wanted to keep her for a cow. When she came in heat, he bred her, something inside was punctured and she got infection and died, after 3 trips by the vet. We were all just sick about this because she had become a real pet that all of us liked.

Latest posts