Calf blockage

Help Support CattleToday:

Euthanize.

Should have been done 5 days ago... when the front end doesn't connect to the back end there's not anything to be done. Most with atresia coli (Google it) die in the first 1-3 days, but it's not unheard of to go 10-14 days before dying. Don't make the calf suffer.

I saw him the day he was born then she hid him. When I saw him again he is bloated looking. I don't want to let anything suffer but I haven't seen this before. You know I can count on some to help and some to criticize like make them sick ???? I thought blockage or bloat ????

jcarkie":33iost7q said:
I saw him the day he was born then she hid him. When I saw him again he is bloated looking. I don't want to let anything suffer but I haven't seen this before. You know I can count on some to help and some to criticize like make them sick ???? I thought blockage or bloat ????

What are you talking about? Sounds like Milkmaid summed it up without a hint of judgement or criticism. If you don't believe her and don't want to euthanize the calf, you need to call a vet out because there aren't many better than her at diagnosing an animal via the internet.

A quote from you from another thread.....

The fewer you have you tend to baby and over feed when you get more you treat them like cattle.

Koffi Babone":2grqlkt9 said:
BTW Milkmaid is a vet.

Yes. Sorry. I knew that. Still can be challenging to diagnose over the internet. Personally, before I euthanized something, I would have a vet (Milkmaid if I lived in her area :) ) actually come take a look. My point was there are none better than her on these boards at diagnosing online. These boards are great, but sometimes you need to pay the bill and get someone to actually take a look. Kinda like visiting WebMD vs going to the doctor.