Calf bloating!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I need help! A calf I bought from a local auction and I notice after I got it home that it had a white discharge from the nose and eyes, also scours. Two days later it started bloating. I have talked to the Vet. and he prescribed a strong antibiotic and he told me to pen him up so he could only eat hay. Well I did this and also got an over the counter bloating med. from the feed store. It got rid of the bloat for one day. He is still bloating and I'm concerned that I may lose him. The vet. thinks he may have chronic bloating and there is not much I can do. Do you think I should just put him to sleep, and give up on him or does anyone have any other solutions. Thanks, Pam

[email protected]

How old is the calf? If he is a baby then his rumen just needs to get adjusted. If he is a couple months old he might need some rumen bacteria added to his system. If he is 400 pounds or so he likely is a chronic bloater and he might have a real problem with any fine hay or grain. Grass is a real cure all, but isn't ready yet.

Medications have an adverse effect on a calf's stomach, some can stop the rumen all together.

The calf might never be a real good calf but he is likely salvageable.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

> I need help! A calf I bought from
> a local auction and I notice after
> I got it home that it had a white
> discharge from the nose and eyes,
> also scours. Two days later it
> started bloating. I have talked to
> the Vet. and he prescribed a
> strong antibiotic and he told me
> to pen him up so he could only eat
> hay. Well I did this and also got
> an over the counter bloating med.
> from the feed store. It got rid of
> the bloat for one day. He is still
> bloating and I'm concerned that I
> may lose him. The vet. thinks he
> may have chronic bloating and
> there is not much I can do. Do you
> think I should just put him to
> sleep, and give up on him or does
> anyone have any other solutions.
> Thanks, Pam If he is a chronic bloater the vet should be able to do bloat surgery. They make a hole in the rumen to the outside - it will eventually grow shut and won`t be visible.

Latest posts