Calf Bed

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a purebred simmental first calf heifer who calved the other day. She is a little on the fat side and it was a bigger calf, she gave one final push and the calf bed came out with the calf. What are the chances of this happening another year? She is feeding her calf and another that was a twin, and she's really fertile so I don't really want to cull her, does anybody have any advice?

[email protected]

As long as it was replaced correctly, we all have favorite methods, if she has normal sized calves and it hasn't happened before there is probably a good chance it won't happen again. But there are some that ones the do it the keep on. The problem if it is genetics could well pass on to her heifer calves.

dunmovin farms

> I have a purebred simmental first
> calf heifer who calved the other
> day. She is a little on the fat
> side and it was a bigger calf, she
> gave one final push and the calf
> bed came out with the calf. What
> are the chances of this happening
> another year? She is feeding her
> calf and another that was a twin,
> and she's really fertile so I
> don't really want to cull her,
> does anybody have any advice?

I'm answering as both a former simmental breeder and a vet. In certain lines of simmies, prolapse is more common. Once an animal prolapses she has a higher risk of prolapsing again. Remember to remove any stay sutures before allowing her to be bred naturally, since it can break the bull's penis. Another cause of prolapse is selenium deficiency, so check into that. Infection is going to be your biggest drawback to keeping her in the herd....some will get a severe metritis and be hard to breed back. Good Luck. V

> I have a purebred simmental first
> calf heifer who calved the other
> day. She is a little on the fat
> side and it was a bigger calf, she
> gave one final push and the calf
> bed came out with the calf. What
> are the chances of this happening
> another year? She is feeding her
> calf and another that was a twin,
> and she's really fertile so I
> don't really want to cull her,
> does anybody have any advice?