Calf Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

BottleRanch

Reaction score
I have gotten into raising bottle calves over the year. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could set up my barn to be able to work with the calves more efficiently. Right now I have them in a pin in my barn. I will make the bottles at the house then carry them out to the barn. I was just looking for some ideas to make the calf working process a little easier. Any ideas?

Ok, I used to barn them too, but likely at some point if they all share a common pen, you will want to find two pens to work out of, that is to mean, rotate them, leave one pen open, and unused, and disinfected, and 'resting' for at least 4-6 weeks while you use the other one. If you start getting disease issues in there it becomes a real problem because they suck on each other etc, and it can go through them like wild fire, the more you use a single pen, the more likely you build up pathagens, and trouble comes your way, this is not to say that you aren't being careful, even the most sanitary operations have this problem.

But, if this is all you have, and you want to keep it, I suggest keeping the feeding stations for each calf several feet apart if at all possible, that is, bottle racks placed apart from each other to keep calves that finish early from trying to suck the ones that are still working on the bottles. maybe even placing a board or other type of seperation divider between them where only one calf at a time can fit into it. I have done that in the past and it works well.

My preference is IF you intend to bottle feed calves indefinately, invest in hutches, either home made or commercially made, this is what we have done, and it is by far the best system for us. If we get a sick calf, we treat the sick calf, we are not forced to treat the whole pen as we used to do. Home made hutches can be built for around 40 bucks a piece. Hutches can be disinfected and moved to virgin ground every rotation, and are much healthier all around.
Good Luck! :cboy:

Thank you for the ideas. The last bunch I had I hung bottle racks on a section of my barn, I would say that they were about a foot to two feet apart. I had thought about doing the dividers but I can't get any ideas with it. Do you know any web sites that could help with some ideas?

Medic24":2qchs6qx said:
Ok, I used to barn them too, but likely at some point if they all share a common pen, you will want to find two pens to work out of, that is to mean, rotate them, leave one pen open, and unused, and disinfected, and 'resting' for at least 4-6 weeks while you use the other one. If you start getting disease issues in there it becomes a real problem because they suck on each other etc, and it can go through them like wild fire, the more you use a single pen, the more likely you build up pathagens, and trouble comes your way, this is not to say that you aren't being careful, even the most sanitary operations have this problem.

Good Luck! :cboy:
Medic what do you use to disinfect the pens?

You really need to separate the calves if at all possible. When I raised bottle calves, I had an old dairy barn with two stalls at each end, and stanchions down each wall. I used hay bales for a long time to make smaller areas for each calf. These work great, especially in the winter.

I would let the calves "co-mingle" after they got older, in a small (5 acre) pasture. You'll have problems if you keep them in a small contained area with all the excrement.

I used the bottle hangers for awhile.. they work good even if the calves are separated. Another reason you want the calves separate is they will suck on each other after feeding, and that's not a habit you want them to start!

Starting calves off seperate from each other is by far the most ideal method. You really need to get them past that newborn to weaning stage singlely, but not every situation is ideal I realize. Not everyone has a row of hutches waiting outside.

As far as disinfecting methods, we use the cheapest way, and hopefully it seems to be the best.

While i have seen it recommended that these stalls get steam cleaned, we simply dont have that type of equipment. We pressure spray our stalls with a 50/50 water /bleach solution, we use the indutrial bleach that has a 16% chlorine content, but I don't even think thats really needed, household bleach should work fine (about 6% strength i think), and when dry we follow up with hydrated lime. spread out over the floors and walls.
but be really careful with it, it will burn your skin and eyes, especially if it gets wet while on you.
Before we put anything back into the stall, we brush the walls off and cover the floor with clean bedding, so no animals come into direct contact with the hydraded lime powder residue, which in time will dilute with the waste being dumped on it..

With our hutches, we simply turn them over, hose them off, and spray with bleach, and keep them turned over for days to let the sun help sanitize them.The move then to a new location.

Ideally, our hutch pads should have gravel under them , but very few of ours do, becuase we like to move them at least every two rotations. We bed with sand, regular lime, and then either shavings, sawdust, or poor hay on top of that, it depends on the time of year and weather. We of course bed heavily during winter months.

Now the idea of the lime is this............when we had a dairy, we bed our milk cattle on agricultural, or field lime, all the time, kept the mastitis, and squomnus cell ? counts down real low. Both agri lime and hydrated lime act as anti bacterials, but Hydrated lime is very potent stuff, and we never let it come into direct contact with us or our animals. burns! When we cleaned our barns and loafing sheds out, the lime and manure made great spread on our pastures.

Direct sunlight, and time to allow the above to disinfect the surfaces you treated is the main thing. plus make sure anything you transfer from stall to stall is clean. Don't knowingly tranfer or bring in any sick calves into a group, unless you want to treat all of them. Whne ever possible when bringing like grouped weaned calves together we try for the all in/all out method.
We learned alot of this from an unfortunate neighbor that we used to sell calves to, and he would raise them in veal barns. Dark, moist, enviroments, that would breed all kinds of pathogens, he often would loose 100% of his group to disease, because by law they are not allowed to use any antibioitcs on them.

Latest posts