Calf banding; slipped?

Help Support CattleToday:

Matersmom

Reaction score
So. If anyone remembers me and Mater, his scours cleared up nicely and he is all weaned now and gaining weight like a pro. I even shared the trick of heavy whipping cream and yogurt with a friend who used it to save his little Jersey calf, so thank you to whoever shared that.
I have no need for a bull so I banded him on Feb 24 when he was nearly 2 months old. I have banded ram lambs before but never a calf so my sis who is training to be a vet came out to help. We washed him with soap and water, banded him, and he barely even reacted. Kept him penned up for the night so the other cows would leave him be and so that he wouldn't be running around and he has been out ever since.
After about a week or two they seemed to dry up and get hard. I felt them plenty but when they were still there this week I decided to flip him over and have a look. I feel no testicles up in his stomach, but I am worried that the band slipped down and I don't know if I should try to reband at the original spot. They site doesn't seem to cause him any pain and he is eating and drinking like a champ. He did not get a tetanus shot at the time, but he got one two and a half weeks ago as part of his vaccinations. He gets another in just over a week.
Also, if you pull a bit at his scrotum you can see there is pink at the original banding site as if it had been departing the first layer of skin there but didn't fully kill the flesh on the inside before the band slipped. It is not actively leaking any fluid, but the dried crusties between the original band site and where it is now makes it look like there could have been some discharge. There is no foul smell.

I am prone to overreacting with him, but I leave right after I give him his booster shot and won't see him in a month or two. I have people to look in on him, but I doubt they will be keeping a close eye on his scrotum. Any advice or previous experience helps!

If both nuts were in the sack its better to be a bit low then too high. He'll be fine, quit messing around with him.

The nuts always dry up way before the sack falls off. That's why the sack looks all flat and shriveled. Leave him be

Supa Dexta":2w34kl1x said:
If both nuts were in the sack its better to be a bit low then too high. He'll be fine, quit messing around with him.

Dead on. Too high and you could possibly catch his penis in the band. I think dexta is right, he will be fine.

Matersmom":52sil16l said:
So. If anyone remembers me and Mater, his scours cleared up nicely and he is all weaned now and gaining weight like a pro. I have no need for a bull so I banded him on Feb 24 when he was nearly 2 months old. I have banded ram lambs before but never a calf so my sis who is training to be a vet came out to help. We washed him with soap and water, banded him, and he barely even reacted. Kept him penned up for the night so the other cows would leave him be and so that he wouldn't be running around and he has been out ever since.
After about a week or two they seemed to dry up and get hard. I felt them plenty but when they were still there this week ....I am worried that the band slipped down and I don't know if I should try to reband at the original spot. The site doesn't seem to cause him any pain and he is eating and drinking like a champ.

I am prone to overreacting with him, but I leave right after..... and won't see him for a month or two.
YOU DID GREAT. No need to worry. Everything is within the range of the normal expected outcome when banding.
Good job. - Butch

As all the others have said, Leave him alone, just make sure to give him his tetanus shot when needed.

Hello Matersmum

The scrotum does not fall off at the point of constriction. You would think it would but it doesn't work like that. The live part of the scrotum heals from the inside out, and about half inch or so above the band dries up as well. Its common for beginners to think that an infection has set up or that the wound will just keep going up the live part, but it doesn't. If there is a problem, its usually because the band isn't tight enough, then the testicles just keep swelling up and never dry out. So if you only do a few each year don't forget to buy fresh bands. I take it he is ok now?

Arkright