Calf banding question?

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
So this is probably a crazy question, but how long does a band (the green Cheerio ring kind) have to be on a day old calf before it kills the blood supply to the testicles/scrotum?
I had a calf get banded that did not need banded and it was on for maybe 45 minutes. Is it to late?

I'm sure it did some damage to the testicles... I'm not sure but I would think it would cause some issues with fertility? Idk raise him up and have a BSE done and see what happens.

Thinking it is done enough damage to not warrant taking it off. Possibly causing gangrene and infection if left off.

Disclaimer, I'm not a vet and I haven't experimented with this.

It is very hard to say, if swelling did not occur he might be OK. Possibly his saving grace would be that at his age the tortuous venous vessels are not developed, usually just a single vein at that age so not much to damage but I would not like to count on it.

Ken

5S Cattle":3nci3vm0 said:
Dang that sucks, how did that happen?
My fault, no excuses. I did not verify my scale calibration before calving season started, and I was getting some weights that would cause me to not want to leave a bull a bull. This bull was the first to get the band and I got to looking at him and second guessing the weight and went to verify the scales. They were off!
It is what it is, lesson learned.

As I mentioned on the other board part of me wants to lean towards it being ok after time. Its young and heals fast - Im just not sure how fast the damage is done.

I can't help but think if someone had an arm or leg trapped for an hour without circulation, that the arm wouldnt be lost once free'd? Tingly as hell like when I sleep on it? but comes around.. Really not sure.

I did find these in relation to human limbs:

-you have about four hours to get the injury to a vascular surgeon and get it cared for appropriately. The rule therefore is four hours. However, the common thread I see in most sources is that about an hour and a half is the longest you want to go without blood flow to a limb.

-although I could find no solid evidence on how long a limb can live without its blood supply, it appears to be about 2-4 hours (some sources say 5-8)

-Without blood supply, your limbs and extremities become unsalvageable after six to eight hours

I would say that a small scrotum would not give much resistance against the pressure exerted by the band. That would be a small cross section to protect those delicate cords.

Latest posts