calf bander

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7":1h7rpkm4 said:
i used to cut my calves and really liked the 197uh uncle henry and still cut the bag off some after banding
197uh_zpsc313a8a5.jpg

but i had i one bleed out and lost him so i started banding.
now for you guys that don't cut the cord but pull it out just sounds cruel and unnecessary not to mention the risk of hernia
There is a weak spot in the cords where it will break. In years gone by we would chaf the cords with a semi sharp knife rather then cutting or pulling. Worked fine 50 years ago but we had one bleed to death so we've banded them almost everyone since then

There are several disadvantages to the bands. One is you might not get both nuts below the band.

The second is tetanus. Most recommend that you give a tetanus shot if you use bands. Having said that I have been using bands for about 20 years and so far no problems.

And finally a tip. Keep your bands in the ice box (refrigerator for any city slickers or young pups out there :) ) so they will last longer. Keeping them in the heat in your truck or barn and they will start developing cracks.

my old vet would have fit if i used a few bands years ago. he said if you think they are pain free just put one on your finger for a while.it takes a long time for them to rot & dry & fall off & i have seen them get bad infections. never seen one bleed if you pull them & they are healed in a week

I have seen hundreds that were cut and pulled that when turned loose went straight to the feed bunk and started to eating. It must not hurt them too much.

johndeerefarmer":2ws3qs4p said:
There are several disadvantages to the bands. One is you might not get both nuts below the band.

The second is tetanus. Most recommend that you give a tetanus shot if you use bands. Having said that I have been using bands for about 20 years and so far no problems.

And finally a tip. Keep your bands in the ice box (refrigerator for any city slickers or young pups out there :) ) so they will last longer. Keeping them in the heat in your truck or barn and they will start developing cracks.

I had one that had a retained jewel. Had to cut him. And - cut and cut to get at it. I got acused of field dressing the poor guy. I had one this year that wiggled and fought a bit and I wound up with only one below the band. So I cut that band off and put on another and got 'em both. Other than these two instances, I have never had a problem banding.

I buy a new sack of bands about every six months. They're cheap. I have to keep them in my med box because I never know when I am going to find a new born bull calf since I calve year round. I don't live there and the ice box is too far away :D

J&D Cattle":3jhgw0rg said:
I use a scalpel with replaceable blades and cut them as I like a good rocky mountain oyster.

I used it too,, It's good and easy to use. but I lost my 72044-10 blade and it's hard to find a match for mine.

Latest posts