calf bander

Help Support CattleToday:

The Tri-bander is what we went to several years ago. It's easier to apply since it stays open until you close it and it works good on the really big nutted calves. The vet borrowed it a while back to work on a prolapsed show pig.

I use the little one with green bands up until about 6 weeks and then go to the one you have shown. Like Dun said, you can use it on some large calves. I have used it on some up to 6 months. I like it real well.

I use it for dehoring yearlings. Make sure the bands are fresh a little age you will find your effort was wasted. On the dehoring put duck tape over the bands so they will not rub them off or wear them into.

TennesseeTuxedo":1v5nvmcx said:
Bigfoot":1v5nvmcx said:
Mine opens bigger, and the bands don't pop off as bad.

What kind Bigfoot?

It's the tri-bander. It says it will do calves to 350 pounds. It will go a lot bigger than that. A friend used it on some longhorns about a month ago that were well over a year old. Personally I wouldn't band a calf that far along, but the band did fit over them.

jerry27150":s1fcgg2m said:
why don't you just cut bottom of sack off & pull nuts out.
What do you use to cut the sack Jerry? I've been using a utility knife with a brand new blade for each group of calves. I once used surgical scissors which worked well but I thought the pinching might hurt worse than a swipe of the blade. I'm just curious what other people use.

ohiosteve":2s7jv3xz said:
What do you use to cut the sack Jerry? I've been using a utility knife with a brand new blade for each group of calves. I once used surgical scissors which worked well but I thought the pinching might hurt worse than a swipe of the blade. I'm just curious what other people use.

My husband uses his pocket knife. It is extremely sharp.

i use a scalpel from valley vet, but sharp knife will do the same trick. dun, that's why they make screw worm spray for wounds. but i normally don't cut them june, july or august.

I just think its a lot less mess, hassle etc. to band them. Actually a little safer. Even when I use a scalpel I grab the bottom of the scrotum with pliers I welded two pieces of cold roll on the ends of. It keeps my fingers out of harms way.

Bigfoot":39ruys7w said:
I just think its a lot less mess, hassle etc. to band them. Actually a little safer. Even when I use a scalpel I grab the bottom of the scrotum with pliers I welded two pieces of cold roll on the ends of. It keeps my fingers out of harms way.
That's a great Idea. I will be making some castration pliers soon.

Actually there channel locks. The angle of the handle gives you better acces, and a better angle to cut from.

ohiosteve":2twwslam said:
jerry27150":2twwslam said:
why don't you just cut bottom of sack off & pull nuts out.

I always used my case trapper, but recently I picked up a little anza file knife. I cut calves with it Saturday and I like it a lot.

I use my Old Timer, "Improved Muskrat". It is semi sharp but not razor sharp. I like the thin blade for the method I use. It was probably 45 years ago that a vet taught me how to cut calves. I pull down on the bottom of the sack. I stick the knive through the sack about a third of the way up and make a verticle cut. I do this below each nut. Then I simply pull the nut straight down making sure I get all the cord. I don't cut the cord but pull it to force it to break off up in the calf. I only cut cord if it breaks off too low and is hanging out. Very very little bleeding with this method.

Growing up we cut. Dad's and Grandad's. Never banded until recent years. I prefer banding when I tag them at birth. Occasionally I get the ones that have to be cut but that is rare.

i used to cut my calves and really liked the 197uh uncle henry and still cut the bag off some after banding
197uh_zpsc313a8a5.jpg

but i had i one bleed out and lost him so i started banding.
now for you guys that don't cut the cord but pull it out just sounds cruel and unnecessary not to mention the risk of hernia

Latest posts