Calf attacked by horned cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Love how you Know it All. It must be handy for every day life. I doubt I will ever get to the point where I know everything. At least I hope I don't..... When I told the vet what I did he said that he would have recommended that, if I hadn't of already done it. Have a nice day.
I went from the information you supplied, miss snarky.

Last edited:
I went from the information you supplied, miss snarky. By the way what was it's temp?
Oh don't get offended. I wasn't. I'm just tired enough to be onery. 105.2
I realize that you were going off of what I wrote down. Just like I was going off of what you wrote down, in my reply 😁

Oh don't get offended. I wasn't. I'm just tired enough to be onery. 105.2
I realize that you were going off of what I wrote down. Just like I was going off of what you wrote down, in my reply 😁
Then why didn't you mention it when requesting advice?
Common sense when diagnosing the health of any mammal (including children) is to always check for a fever and observe respiratory.

Common sense when diagnosing the health of any mammal (including children) is to always check for a fever and observe respiratory.
Except when you are also dealing with a hole in the hide that had fluid... an antibiotic in that case would have been more than a good prevention....and more so if it was where you might be able to get it back in...

Except when you are also dealing with a hole in the hide that had fluid... an antibiotic in that case would have been more than a good prevention....and more so if it was where you might be able to get it back in...
After seeing bleeding has ceased and treating wound with fly/maggot protection, when there is no fever present (happened 4 days ago) I prefer benign neglect and allow immune system to do it's work.

Last edited:
Once upon a time there weren't any antibiotics and animals including humans survived pretty well. I think with wounds like this people ensured there was proper drainage and care was given to ensure flies were not a problem. Things can heal without resorting to antibiotics. I think most Vets over use antibiotics also.

Ken

Well I was in a hurry, Because I had a lot to get done and I missed giving All of the details, that is the main reason I Hate texting. It's Soo easy for misunderstandings to happen (especially if info gets left out). I went back and reread my post after replying to your First post and yes, I didn't have everything in there I Should have. It's been a long week. But what farmer, cattle person (especially during calving season) has it not been a long week for. I apologize for making assumptions about you, from your post,. I didn't come on here to start a mud slinging contest. I came on here to get advice and I left out an important detail. It happens.

Well I was in a hurry, Because I had a lot to get done and I missed giving All of the details, that is the main reason I Hate texting. It's Soo easy for misunderstandings to happen (especially if info gets left out). I went back and reread my post after replying to your First post and yes, I didn't have everything in there I Should have. It's been a long week. But what farmer, cattle person (especially during calving season) has it not been a long week for. I apologize for making assumptions about you, from your post,. I didn't come on here to start a mud slinging contest. I came on here to get advice and I left out an important detail. It happens.
Don't worry. They automatically assumed you did it wrong vs giving you the benefit of the doubt. That's on them... not you.

Thought I'd do an update on the calf, she has all kinds of nasty coming out of the hole in her back. Surprisingly she's still taking a bottle fine. I gave her another round of Excede and Banimine (per the vet's instructions) she didn't even flinch, when I gave her the shot's, which isn't generally a good sign,... I've been flushing out her back with the stuff, can't remember the name right now,. That the vet gave me. Twice a day. She's getting bottle's 3 time's a day. I don't know how a calf can have that much junk coming out of it, and it be alive...

Thought I'd do an update on the calf, she has all kinds of nasty coming out of the hole in her back. Surprisingly she's still taking a bottle fine. I gave her another round of Excede and Banimine (per the vet's instructions) she didn't even flinch, when I gave her the shot's, which isn't generally a good sign,... I've been flushing out her back with the stuff, can't remember the name right now,. That the vet gave me. Twice a day. She's getting bottle's 3 time's a day. I don't know how a calf can have that much junk coming out of it, and it be alive...
My goodness. It sounds like she may get along ok tho!! At least it's nursing regularly. Does she move about ok too?

Any pics of this mess?

She moves around fine! No I don't have any pictures of it, I didn't want to make anyone lose their breakfast, her shed smells like something Dead, even though I'm keeping her straw clean.

She moves around fine! No I don't have any pictures of it, I didn't want to make anyone lose their breakfast, her shed smells like something Dead, even though I'm keeping her straw clean.
It's pretty amazing how some animals will heal from terrible injury. A friend had a cat that had the skin torn off over the entire hip. A big triangular flap about six inches on a side, and the vet sewed it back but it kept tearing loose so he cut it off. The muscle beneath was completely exposed. I saw the cat a couple of months later and you couldn't tell it was ever injured.

Suggestion... if you are trying to clean it out/flush it... when you get done, try using a tube of mastitis medicine in it... Today or Tomorrow... squirt it all in there and it will put some antibiotic stuff in there and not dribble right out like a liquid..... I just bought a box of 12 tubes for about 45.... so not 2.00 a tube... we use it under the eyelid for animals with pinkeye... it does NOT burn... and helps to coat the eye/wound with some antibiotic that lasts a little bit... Maybe do it at night so it has a chance to stick in there for a few hours... It might help to coat the inside a bit and maybe help the healing.....

Suggestion... if you are trying to clean it out/flush it... when you get done, try using a tube of mastitis medicine in it... Today or Tomorrow... squirt it all in there and it will put some antibiotic stuff in there and not dribble right out like a liquid..... I just bought a box of 12 tubes for about 45.... so not 2.00 a tube... we use it under the eyelid for animals with pinkeye... it does NOT burn... and helps to coat the eye/wound with some antibiotic that lasts a little bit... Maybe do it at night so it has a chance to stick in there for a few hours... It might help to coat the inside a bit and maybe help the healing.....
Thank you for the suggestion, I will have to see if my feed store sells it.

There are also mastitis tubes with Penicillin... and Pirsue is another brand.... different antibiotics..... but none of them will irritate tissue that is why they can use it up the teat into the udder.... it just seems to me that any type of antibiotic put in the "hole" and getting into the wound... and I was wrong... it is about $4.00 a tube.. used to be cheaper but like everything else... it just keeps going up. Also, this will not be available after the new drug restrictions go into effect in June....except by prescription.

Last edited:

Latest posts