Calf attacked by dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

So sorry for that loss.
We had a pack of dogs kill one of my daughter's full grow sheep a few years back. Ran both through the fence, killed Loretta and actually had Roxie bayed on our back patio. Hubs was able to get lead in 3 of the 5.
We live where folks like to dump their dogs and have had several problem packs the last 25 years. I have zero tolerance for a low life that dumps their animal.

I never had a donkey. But have heard stories of people getting a donkey to solve one problem and then end up with a calf and goat killing donkey and a new problem.
Yep. Jacks , even gelded jacks, will attack smaller animals like dogs and coyotes, but also calves, sheep and goats. The best guardians against predators, since man first domesticated live stock, are dogs.

Yep. Jacks , even gelded jacks, will attack smaller animals like dogs and coyotes, but also calves, sheep and goats. The best guardians against predators, since man first domesticated live stock, are dogs.
I have a Jenny that cured my problem years ago. You can only have one or they will stick each other. The jacks are a different story, neighbor had one that will kill a calf in a heartbeat.
That Jenny will watch a coyote trot across the pasture, a dog she is slipping up on it the whole time.

I never had a donkey. But have heard stories of people getting a donkey to solve one problem and then end up with a calf and goat killing donkey and a new problem.

Ground and tainted they make good coyote bait and kill no more calves.

I will go after a calf killing dog like Ben Lily after a chicken hawk. Lead is my first choice but if time and circumstance does not permit
there are other methods. The ultimate is a #12 treble hook with one barb straightened out enough so they can't pass it. Stitch it into
a slab of meat and let nature take its course. Granddad would run a pitchfork tine through a board then nail it up on a tree and hang a
slab just above the tine , a little higher than they can jump.

I have a Jenny that cured my problem years ago. You can only have one or they will stick each other. The jacks are a different story, neighbor had one that will kill a calf in a heartbeat.
That Jenny will watch a coyote trot across the pasture, a dog she is slipping up on it the whole time.
Yep. You are correct about that. A single jenny, or one with a foal is best. standard or mammoth. I have seen people try to use mini donkeys. The best dog killers I have ever had, were stallions. I have had 4 over the last 50 years, that were batting 1000 when dogs got in the pasture. I had a Mr, Gunsmoke stallion that would just stand there all quite and grazing, til the dog got to the middle of the pasture. Never was run he couldn't run down and stomp pinto a greasy spot. Now as far as cattle? Dogs don't stand a chance with Longhorn or Corriente mommas. Or the bulls, either, especially Corrientes.

We had pretty good success with some Jenneys with cattle. Have also had a Hereford Brahman cross cow that was as good of a coyote chaser as anything, Now have a longhorn cow that seems to take on that role.

I will go after a calf killing dog like Ben Lily after a chicken hawk. Lead is my first choice but if time and circumstance does not permit
there are other methods. The ultimate is a #12 treble hook with one barb straightened out enough so they can't pass it. Stitch it into
a slab of meat and let nature take its course. Granddad would run a pitchfork tine through a board then nail it up on a tree and hang a
slab just above the tine , a little higher than they can jump.
the pitchfork tine is an interesting one!

We live between two indian reserves... They stopped coming here asking if we'd seen their dog after a while...
One neighbor that's a bad egg has a couple Marema LGD's that are useless, they follow his truck for 5 miles so they're never at home where they ought to be.. I've scared the begeezus out of them a few times, they seem to stick to the road and don't come in the yard, and they better remember that.
I have a horned heifer that seems to be real keen to try out her cloud stabbers on a coyote, she was taking steps toward one in the field.. I got an older polled cow that sees EVERYTHING and she's chased off big cats before, right through the fence

Reminds me of this series of pics.. Them mommas were mad!.. I think I heard that the bear didn't survive very long after that
cowVsBear04.jpg
cowVsBear10.jpg

We live between two indian reserves... They stopped coming here asking if we'd seen their dog after a while...
One neighbor that's a bad egg has a couple Marema LGD's that are useless, they follow his truck for 5 miles so they're never at home where they ought to be.. I've scared the begeezus out of them a few times, they seem to stick to the road and don't come in the yard, and they better remember that.
I have a horned heifer that seems to be real keen to try out her cloud stabbers on a coyote, she was taking steps toward one in the field.. I got an older polled cow that sees EVERYTHING and she's chased off big cats before, right through the fence

Reminds me of this series of pics.. Them mommas were mad!.. I think I heard that the bear didn't survive very long after that
View attachment 2855
View attachment 2856
I remember seeing those pics. Hmmm, were they Salers?;)

Earlier today I was going back to start clearing some fence for a pasture move. I noticed one cow to my right running. I looked and saw that she was going after a buzzard that had landed close to her (very much alive) calf. After that, she started going after the crows that were close by too.

We had a neighbors dog come down and kill a cripple calf i had been working with for weeks. I walked outside and the dog was over the half eaten calf, covered in blood. At the time i didnt know whose dog it was. Luckily, it had a collar on with a number. Even after 1. having the dog 2. its covered in blood(the dog was white) and 3. had a mauled calf in the yard.... the guy still said his dog doesnt kill calves. It was a hog dog.. How many have been told their hog dogs dont get calves....uh, yeah.
The dog owners i hate are the ones who say, "If you see my dog causing trouble, just shoot it." No, we dont want to kill a dog, keep the darn thing at home...

We have had several donkeys over the years. Only one gelding bothered the baby lambs... once they were 40-50 lbs he was fine. We ran him with the rams and the bigger weaned lambs. Had one that would stand over a lamb every time a buzzard would even darken the sky .... Llamas have been the best for us with the lambs. Guardian dogs don't work without the proper fencing... most of our places are rented and fencing just not good enough to keep a dog in... and we have too many "do gooder" idiots that think it is cruel to make a dog stay out with the sheep in all kinds of weather.....most people that have LGD's say the dogs don't want to even use shelters when the weather is bad. Caught one neighbor feeding the dog trying to tempt it to his yard because we were neglecting it....
Had a couple of neighbor dogs; oh my dog wouldn't do that..... caught in the act running and killing several of our pregnant ewes.... Deputy sheriff paid them a visit and the sheep got paid for but we lost the lambs they were pregnant with and ready to have.... people were told that the dogs were fair game if we caught them again even in the same field with the sheep.

We have had several donkeys over the years. Only one gelding bothered the baby lambs... once they were 40-50 lbs he was fine. We ran him with the rams and the bigger weaned lambs. Had one that would stand over a lamb every time a buzzard would even darken the sky .... Llamas have been the best for us with the lambs. Guardian dogs don't work without the proper fencing... most of our places are rented and fencing just not good enough to keep a dog in... and we have too many "do gooder" idiots that think it is cruel to make a dog stay out with the sheep in all kinds of weather.....most people that have LGD's say the dogs don't want to even use shelters when the weather is bad. Caught one neighbor feeding the dog trying to tempt it to his yard because we were neglecting it....
Had a couple of neighbor dogs; oh my dog wouldn't do that..... caught in the act running and killing several of our pregnant ewes.... Deputy sheriff paid them a visit and the sheep got paid for but we lost the lambs they were pregnant with and ready to have.... people were told that the dogs were fair game if we caught them again even in the same field with the sheep.
We had a llama with the sheep for a while it was a gelded male. Had to eventually protect the sheep from him. He got a ewe down. We had Great Pyrenees dogs too, and like you said keeping them in was darn near impossible. They worked great as long as they were in the field, but they love to roam. On their last roaming spree they got about 10 miles away before they headed back. After that they were rehomed. I can vouch for the dogs not minding inclement weather, as ours seemed to get hot even in the winter.

We had a llama with the sheep for a while it was a gelded male. Had to eventually protect the sheep from him. He got a ewe down. We had Great Pyrenees dogs too, and like you said keeping them in was darn near impossible. They worked great as long as they were in the field, but they love to roam. On their last roaming spree they got about 10 miles away before they headed back. After that they were rehomed. I can vouch for the dogs not minding inclement weather, as ours seemed to get hot even in the winter.
Haha yes our neighbors great Pyrenees are always running the back roads. I love them dogs. I always heard that were mean as hell but never actually saw any mean ones.

Did ya'll like having Llamas? Where they had to care for?

Haha yes our neighbors great Pyrenees are always running the back roads. I love them dogs. I always heard that were mean as hell but never actually saw any mean ones.

Did ya'll like having Llamas? Where they had to care for?
We liked the llama ok, neat proud acting animal. It was so different than any other animal I had ever had that it seemed strange to me and was always a little nervous around him. They need there hooves trimmed and need shearing.
We had a male and female Great Pyrenees pair and raised a couple litters of pups. The pair of dogs that we had were pretty good around people but the female was a little standoffish. I kept a male pup out of their last litter and he was as gentle as a lamb with us and would stand for hours to be petted if we would. If anybody else came around it was like a switch turned on and he was a flat out monster, growling like a chainsaw and foaming at the mouth. He stayed the barn at night. He earned a reputation around and one night I heard a lot of barking from him and my Border Collie, that was just as temperamental as him. I figured they had a raccoon cornered in the barn. The next morning I found a big stick laying just inside the gate in front of the barn. I guessed that somebody tried to get in the barn and the dogs kept them out.

Latest posts