calf and bull, same pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

John IN

Reaction score
What are you alls feeling about letting calves (bulls and heifers) and a herd bull roam in the same pasture? If no harm at what age about should I pull calf out?

Unless you hand breed him, he's gotta be with the ladys to get them bred. Therefore, he's gotta be with the calves as well as the cows. I'ld pull him when the heifers hit about 6 months just to avoid possible early breeding.

dun

What are you alls feeling about letting calves (bulls and heifers) and a herd bull roam in the same pasture? If no harm at what age about should I pull calf out?

Agree but you better pull the little boys too. Depending on the breed (English) will suprise you at how early they will breed.

Campground Cattle":wyx77h6x said:
Agree but you better pull the little boys too. Depending on the breed (English) will suprise you at how early they will breed.
Hey Campground
I was just reading where MARC is touting that the continentals are much more fertile than the Angus. Believe that if you want to.

Got me thinking, so I broke out the MARC composite breed study. Gelbvieh, Braunvieh and Pinzgaur have a higher percentage of puberty at one year then Angus, over twice as many as Hereford. The only british breed included in the study that has as early a puberty as those three is Red Poll. limo and Hereford are just about dead even.
It's one of those things that I've never really paid any attention to. As long as they breed and settle at 14-15 months that's all I've ever cared about.
Another "old dog, new trick" kind of deal

dun

la4angus":3275ux1m said:
Campground Cattle":3275ux1m said:
Hey Campground
I was just reading where MARC is touting that the continentals are much more fertile than the Angus. Believe that if you want to.

la4angus":8viqivvp said:
Campground Cattle":8viqivvp said:
Hey Campground

Won't say that is not true I can only speak from experience on the English breeds BW's Angus and Herefords. I have all three breeds (don't tell anyone that I have the angus)seen all three come in as early as seven to eight months.

Who wants to be breeding 5, 6, or 7 mo. old heifers; even if this is true.
Personally I dont put any faith in it.

The point is that the little buggers can get bred that early, not that it's a good thing to do. Just something else to keep in mind for managment purposes.

dun

la4angus":2a42jhvd said:
Who wants to be breeding 5, 6, or 7 mo. old heifers; even if this is true.
Personally I dont put any faith in it.

I dont wean my replacement heffiers till 9 mo's. I work them at that time and give them the abortion shot, about $2 and worth every penny.
BTW I'm agin it in humans.
Mountain William

Is it considered unethical to sell heifers that are presumably stockers and it turns out they're bred? I wean on the trailer at 9 months, but I don't retain any and I don't abort.

It's not really unethical but the feedlots sure don't like it. Probelm is reputaions. If you say they're definitly not bred they will usaully bring a little more per cwt. But if you claim they aren';t and they are you'll have ahrd time selling feeder heifers again. ALos even if you don;t claim they are, the feeders come to realize that yours may be pregnant and bid accordingly.
Our association has $300 gaurentee that all the feeder heifers are unbred. We've never had to pay the penalty and the feeders that have bought our heifers in the past are bidding higher now because of the gaurantee.

dun

D.R. Cattle":12g2zkke said:
Is it considered unethical to sell heifers that are presumably stockers and it turns out they're bred? I wean on the trailer at 9 months, but I don't retain any and I don't abort.

Latest posts