Calf all messed up on hindquarters

Help Support CattleToday:

cattleguy11

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 6 month old Limousin calf that's messed up with crap in the back, all the way from the tail to the hooves, and it holds its tail up all the time. It also every few minutes tries to pooch out its rectum a few inches - and when it does it's really distended, maybe 3 inches across. What is this and what can be done for it?

No doubt others will have more difinitive answers...but my first thought is call the vet...take the animal to the vet...tomorrow!

Alice

cattleguy11":1klualnk said:
It also every few minutes tries to pooch out its rectum a few inches - and when it does it's really distended, maybe 3 inches across. What is this and what can be done for it?

Sounds like a prolapse in progress - call your vet as soon as you can.

msscamp":1rsq99kp said:
cattleguy11":1rsq99kp said:
It also every few minutes tries to pooch out its rectum a few inches - and when it does it's really distended, maybe 3 inches across. What is this and what can be done for it?

At 6 months?

Wewild":12xl81qv said:
msscamp":12xl81qv said:
cattleguy11":12xl81qv said:

At 6 months?

It is my understanding that a prolapse can happen at any time - but it's been many, many years since we had to deal with one, so I could very well be wrong.

msscamp":endoyz26 said:
Wewild":endoyz26 said:
msscamp":endoyz26 said:
cattleguy11":endoyz26 said:

At 6 months?

It is my understanding that a prolapse can happen at any time - but it's been many, many years since we had to deal with one, so I could very well be wrong.

I was thinking uterine or vaginal.

Sorry didn't think about rectal.

Wewild":3m7oxb5g said:
msscamp":3m7oxb5g said:
Wewild":3m7oxb5g said:
msscamp":3m7oxb5g said:
cattleguy11":3m7oxb5g said:

At 6 months?

I was thinking uterine or vaginal.

Sorry didn't think about rectal.

No problem. :)

Hi cattle guy, Is this calf having decent bowel movements??? Are they hard, and /or hard to get out?? Just a thought, sounds like vet time. Maybe, someone else will have a clue??? Merry

I wouldn't call a vet for a scouring calf, but you might need to if you're unsure of what you're looking at. Hopefully, you've done that by now. You neglected to mention if the scours were bloody, or what color they were, or what your calf had been eating, or what his temp was, etc.

Really, it's not much info to go on. Could be anything from bad worms to coccidiosis, etc. Normally, when you take care of the scours, the tendency to prolapse will go away.

My treatment would be to temp and if the calf has an elevated temp and/or bloody scours, use Albon boluses at the labeled rate. Keep hydrated and stay away from high protein feed. Reevaluate after a day, either based on temp or clinical symptoms.

Hi Cattleman 11, I saw that calf messed up on hind quarters, but apparently didn;t read far enough. Scours, just like Texan says. Calf needs to stay hydrated. there are different types of scours, some more serious that others. Merry

ok, i'm confused...when and where were scours mentioned?

Alice

Alice":3iicohit said:

Alice

"I have a 6 month old Limousin calf that's messed up with crap in the back, all the way from the tail to the hooves..."

Scours are diarrhea.

msscamp":261l79ik said:
Alice":261l79ik said:

Alice

"I have a 6 month old Limousin calf that's messed up with crap in the back, all the way from the tail to the hooves..."

Scours are diarrhea.

Guess I'd never heard it quite put that way before. For some reason I thought it meant the calf was screwed up in the hindquarters...like something was displaced and it was walking funny and was in pain, and it was affecting it's rectum or something. That's all I could picture. Dang, I've got to stay out of this 108 degree heat. Sorry.

Alice

Alice":1a9w87fa said:
msscamp":1a9w87fa said:
Alice":1a9w87fa said:

Alice

Scours are diarrhea.

Guess I'd never heard it quite put that way before. For some reason I thought it meant the calf was screwed up in the hindquarters...like something was displaced and it was walking funny and was in pain, and it was affecting it's rectum or something. That's all I could picture. Dang, I've got to stay out of this 108 degree heat. Sorry.

Alice

No problem. :) I hear you on the heat, though! We got a brief respite from it today - overcast and a nice, cool breeze for most of the day. :D We even got about 100 drops of rain throughout the day! :shock: Not enough to even settle the dust, but it made the day a little more pleasant considering I'm outside all day.

Msscamp,

I used to be outside all day...I lived to be outside all day...I loved being outside all day. Now, I'm outside until I feel the headache and nausea begin...

Alice

Alice":1a7v25lv said:
Msscamp,

I used to be outside all day...I lived to be outside all day...I loved being outside all day. Now, I'm outside until I feel the headache and nausea begin...

Alice

Alice, I meant nothing by that statement. My job simply requires me to be outside all day - I can certainly understand that not all people handle the heat well. I know my Mom has collapsed on me on more than one occasion due to heat stress/heat exhaustion, as has my sister - it was not a pleasant experience for any of us. In fact, the first time it happened it scared the absolute hell out of me! I certainly don't blame you for not wanting to subject yourself to that.

msscamp":3m5bg99l said:
Alice":3m5bg99l said:
Msscamp,

Alice

Alice, I meant nothing by that statement. My job simply requires me to be outside all day - I can certainly understand that not all people handle the heat well. I know my Mom has collapsed on me on more than one occasion due to heat stress/heat exhaustion, as has my sister - it was not a pleasant experience for any of us. In fact, the first time it happened it scared the absolute be nice out of me! I certainly don't blame you for not wanting to subject yourself to that.

Oh goodness, I didn't take offence to that. I was envying your break in the weather. Thanks, tho. :)

Alice

Alice":160mgbg1 said:
msscamp":160mgbg1 said:
Alice":160mgbg1 said:
Msscamp,

Alice

Alice, I meant nothing by that statement. My job simply requires me to be outside all day - I can certainly understand that not all people handle the heat well. I know my Mom has collapsed on me on more than one occasion due to heat stress/heat exhaustion, as has my sister - it was not a pleasant experience for any of us. In fact, the first time it happened it scared the absolute be nice out of me! I certainly don't blame you for not wanting to subject yourself to that.

Oh goodness, I didn't take offence to that. I was envying your break in the weather. Thanks, tho. :)

Alice

I'm glad - from your response I thought I had somehow offended you. The break in the heat was very nice - maybe it will last a day or two, that would be very nice! No problem. :)

Latest posts