Calf 30 days early

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Got back from out of town early this morning and a Bred heifer I had bought that had an A.I. Date of 5-12-05 (due 2-21-06) had her calf. She was exactly 30 days early from due date. The calf is very small maybe like 50-60 lbs. But she is healthy, active and nursing fine.

Is it possible for a calf to be this early? Or has there been a mistake on the A.I. date?

Days of GestationApproximate lbs. Or oz.InchesRemarks Concerning Palpation30 (1 month) 1/100 oz. ½ Some fluid in embryonic vesicle (marble size) 45 1/8 oz. 1 Gravid horn somewhat enlarged. 60 (2 months) ¼ oz. 2 Fetus size of a mouse, uterine horn banana-size (2 inches diameter) 90 (3 months) 8 oz. 6 Fetus size of a small rat, can be bumped. Uterine horns 3 inches diameter (Big Balloon) and dropping into abdominal cavity. 120 (4 months) 2 lbs 12 Fetus size of a small cat, uterine horns 5 inches in diameter. Can feel placentomes. 150 (5 months) 5 lbs 18 Fetus size of cat. May be too deep to palpate. Horns 7 inches diameter. Placentomes 2-2 ½ inches 180 (6 months) 11 lbs 24 Fetus size of a small dog. Movement of fetus may be felt. Might feel features of calf. 210 (7 months) 23 lbs. 30 From 7 months until parturition, fetus may be felt. Age determined by fetal size. 240 (8 months) 47 lbs. 36 Mid-uterine artery large 270 (9 months) 50-100 lbs 283 (or term) Size depends on genetic and environmental factors, usually 60-90 lbs. And 40 inches for English breeds.

aplusmnt":1osrnc43 said:
Got back from out of town early this morning and a Bred heifer I had bought that had an A.I. Date of 5-12-05 (due 2-21-06) had her calf. She was exactly 30 days early from due date. The calf is very small maybe like 50-60 lbs. But she is healthy, active and nursing fine.

Is it possible for a calf to be this early? Or has there been a mistake on the A.I. date?

If it doesn't have a "Thick" hair coat, it might be a premie.

The hair is one of the last things to develop. I had a cow to abort at 7 months and the calf had very little hair.

I had a premie in my kitchen getting warm the other night. 45 lbs. Not alot of hair and really soft hooves.

Back with mamma and happy as can be.

I'm positive it wasn't a mix up on breeding dates too.

probably a premie. its not uncommon for heifers to have premies. just curious, was it a heifer?

Oh, i see you said "she" now.

Beefy":3ccintlv said:
probably a premie. its not uncommon for heifers to have premies. just curious, was it a heifer?

Actually not sure if it is bull calf or heifer, we were not expecting her to calve for 3-4 weeks so she was in a 80 acre field with lots of brush. The mom is keeping it pretty hid and not letting us get around her very close. All seems well so I am leaving them be for now. I am bad at guessing weight the calf could be under 50 lbs or close to it. The heifer was a 1/4 Maine 3/4 Angus and was bred to a PB Angus bull.

Try to get a closer look at the calf in morning. Here is a picture of the Mom taken 9 days before she calved.

Sharpie3.jpg

Beefy":fi2yi8rd said:
probably a preemie. its not uncommon for heifers to have preemies. just curious, was it a heifer?

Finally got close enough to the calf after a few days of hiding in the cedar trees and brier patches. And yes Beefy the calf was a heifer. Is it more common for preemies to be heifer calves?

aplusmnt":2hd0uw00 said:
Beefy":2hd0uw00 said:
probably a preemie. its not uncommon for heifers to have preemies. just curious, was it a heifer?

Finally got close enough to the calf after a few days of hiding in the cedar trees and brier patches. And yes Beefy the calf was a heifer. Is it more common for preemies to be heifer calves?

in my experience that has been the case. about 9 times out of 10.

Latest posts