Calcium salts of long chain fatty acids

Help Support CattleToday:

novaman

Reaction score
I was on a dairy forum yesterday and they were discussing bypass fats. I did some researching on the subject and found calcium salts of long chain fatty acids is the most common form of these energy-rich products. Later on I went to putting mineral out for the yearlings and got to reading the mineral tag. One of the ingredients listed is calcium salts of long chain fatty acids. Never noticed it before or at least I didn't pay much attention to what it was. My question is, why would they add an energy component into a mineral? My initial thought was they added it for the calcium. However, my research shows this product IS NOT cheap. There are plenty of cheap calcium products out there. Anybody have any ideas?

novaman":2zquiqf6 said:
I was on a dairy forum yesterday and they were discussing bypass fats. I did some researching on the subject and found calcium salts of long chain fatty acids is the most common form of these energy-rich products. Later on I went to putting mineral out for the yearlings and got to reading the mineral tag. One of the ingredients listed is calcium salts of long chain fatty acids. Never noticed it before or at least I didn't pay much attention to what it was. My question is, why would they add an energy component into a mineral? My initial thought was they added it for the calcium. However, my research shows this product IS NOT cheap. There are plenty of cheap calcium products out there. Anybody have any ideas?

Probably more of a sales pitch as anything. Megalac is a good ingredient and can be utilized well in dairy ration but because it is not real palatable you have to be careful on the inclusion rate. Can actually be used somewhat as an intake limiter as welll.TDN and NEL if I recall correctly is about 4 times that of corn so great energy source but can't see the real benefit of putting into mineral with it's low consumption rate.
For yearlings I'd probably dump it and use Rumensin in the feed or Bovatec in a mineral. But you're right....Megalac is very expensive and at todays milk prices most folks don't even think about using it. BST would give you a better return on your money.

Latest posts