Calcium and dextrose question

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I was cleaning my med cabinet in my office and found about 10 bottles of dextrose and calcium that have never been used. They are stored in a dark, cool place. The expiration date is 06 all the way to 08 so they have really expired.

My question is do they really expire or can I use them if the need arises. I hate to throw 150.00 of meds away if they are still good.

If no one knows for sure I will ask my vet on Monday when he is out here.

Thanks.

hillsdown":24hdwv3y said:
I was cleaning my med cabinet in my office and found about 10 bottles of dextrose and calcium that have never been used. They are stored in a dark, cool place. The expiration date is 06 all the way to 08 so they have really expired.

My question is do they really expire or can I use them if the need arises. I hate to throw 150.00 of meds away if they are still good.

If no one knows for sure I will ask my vet on Monday when he is out here.

Thanks.

I would use them especially if the seals on top of each bottle are intact. Sugar and calcium don't get old I don't think and the solution should be as sterile as the day it was bottled.

Thanks TB, that is what I was thinking. They are completely sealed and the solution looks crystal clear. It is amazing what you hardly use when you don't milk cows anyomore.. :lol:

I will ask my vet for sure, but I would hate to throw them out just in case a scenario does come up ,and they are not cheap either.

I've wondered the same thing about the expiration dates. I try to keep a few bottles on hand at all times but sometimes I don't use it and gets carried over and likely expires before I ever do need it. I use it anyway but have always wondered if there is a reason for the expiration date or is it just something to cover their butts or maybe just sell more product? I wouldn't think sugar water would get bad. As far as the calcium I thought maybe it would precipitate out over time but I can't say I've ever seen it happen. Who knows!

I'd still use them. Most times even meds such as antibiotics are good long past the expiration date. If dex and calcium are kept cool and in a dark place I see no reason they would go bad.

I try to keep a few bottles on hand at all times but sometimes I don't use it and gets carried over and likely expires before I ever do need it.

You're trying hard to make me jealous :lol2: :lol2:

I'd keep 'em, use them. They'll be fine.
Hide them from the dairy inspector if they're anything like ours - I've been black-marked before now for antibiotics that were already expired when the vet gave me them.

Calcium and especially dextrose can crystalize if they are too old and you may not be able to see it. I know some antibiotics can become harmful if they are expired as well. Personally I wouldnt risk it especially if they are being given IV. To me, I would risk throwing out $150, and not loosing any cattle. There is a reason why there are expiration dates on medications.

I asked DR. U today and was told to use them as long as they are sealed and stored properly..

I really do not see a scenario coming up in the near future, so if I do not need them by this time next year they are hitting the trash.

CowGirl005":2l8bk5vh said:
Calcium and especially dextrose can crystalize if they are too old and you may not be able to see it. I know some antibiotics can become harmful if they are expired as well. Personally I wouldnt risk it especially if they are being given IV. To me, I would risk throwing out $150, and not loosing any cattle. There is a reason why there are expiration dates on medications.

If they are crystalized they wouldn't even pass through the needle. So no need to worry there... ;-)

Latest posts